Age Word Problem Involving Ratio

In summary: Let x = Abraham's ageLet y = Adam's ageNone. In the problem statement it says 5 (five), not 4 (four)Surely you can solve $$ {5x+4\over 7x+4 } = {3\over 4} \quad ? $$And: For the first line, you mean : Let 5x = ...##\ ##Where did I say I cannot solve the stated equation?None. In the problem statement it says 5 (five), not 4 (four)
harpazo
Homework Statement
Find the present ages of Abraham and Adam.
Relevant Equations
(4x + 4)/(7x + 4) = 3/4
The ages of Abraham and Adam are in the ratio 5 : 7. Four years from now, the ratio of their ages will be 3 : 4. Find the present ages of them.

I never saw an age problem involving a ratio but let's see.

Abraham to Adam = 5 : 7

Let x = present age of Abraham and Adam.

Age of Abraham = 5x.

Age of Adam = 7x.

Age of Abraham to age of Adam =
5x : 7x.

Age of Abraham in 4 years = 4x + 4.

Age of Adam in 4 years = 7x + 4.

Four years from now, the ratio of their ages = 3 : 4.

I got stuck here. A friend said to do the following:

(4x + 4)/(7x + 4) = 3/4

What data in the problem indicates to set up the equation as my friend said? I will then continue to find their ages.

Physics news on Phys.org
harpazo said:
What data in the problem
None. In the problem statement it says 5 (five), not 4 (four)

Surely you can solve $$ {5x+4\over 7x+4 } = {3\over 4} \quad ? $$

And:

harpazo said:

Age of Abraham = 5x.
For the first line, you mean : Let 5x = ...

##\ ##

harpazo said:
There are two ages, one of Abraham and another of Adam. That requires two distinct variables.

EDIT: Probably "requires" is too strong a word. But the two ages are certainly not the same, so x can only represent one age. I recommend that the first translation from words to variables and equations be the most routine and direct translation that you can do. Two variables, one for each person's age, would allow that, no matter what the following word statements are.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes BvU and Delta2
FactChecker said:
There are two ages, one of Abraham and another of Adam. That requires two distinct variables.
Ok.

Let x = Abraham's age

Let y = Adam's age

Likes symbolipoint and FactChecker
BvU said:

And:

##\ ##
Where did I say I cannot solve the stated equation?

BvU said:

And:

##\ ##

What data in the problem indicates to set up the equation as my friend said?

harpazo said:
Do not get distracted. Keep things in order. You later were able to assign each of two different variables. Best to continue from that. y for Adam and x for Abraham.

harpazo said:
What data in the problem indicates to set up the equation as my friend said?
The current ages can only be either:
Abraham/Adam: 5/7 or 10/14 or 15/21 or 20/28 or 25/35 or 30/42 or 35/49 or 40/56 or 45/63 or 50/70 or 55/77 or 60/84 or 65/91.
All of the above satisfy the 5/7=0.7143 ratio.

Following the above possible combinations and adding four years to each person, the future ages could be either:
Abraham/Adam: 9/11 or 14/18 or 19/25 or 24/32 or 29/39 or 34/46 or 39/53 or 44/60 or 49/67 or 54/74 or 59/81 or 64/88 or 69/95.
Which ones of the above satisfy the 3/4=0.75 ratio?

Likes Delta2
Rewriting the problem statement and the setup:Homework Statement: The ages of Abraham and Adam are in the ratio 5 : 7. Four years from now, the ratio of their ages will be 3 : 4. Find the present ages of them.

Relevant Equations: (none)

The member has chosen x for Abraham and y for Adam.

First part of the question translates directly as x/y=5/7.

Second part of the question directly translates as (x+4)/(y+4)=3/4.

THOSE are the two equations as a system that can and should be solved.

Likes Delta2, SammyS and Lnewqban
harpazo said:
You are right: your post says you can't state the equation to be solved, not the other way around.

The problem statement you posted -- slightly edited
harpazo said:
Homework Statement::
The ages of Abraham and Adam are in the ratio 5 : 7. Four years from now, the ratio of their ages will be 3 : 4. Find the present ages of them.
And the
Relevant Equation:: (4x + 4)/(7x + 4) = 3/4
is wrong.

You can't say
harpazo said:
since they are not equal. And in addition it contradicts the next line -- which in itself is a very good start
Age of Abraham = 5x.
because then from the problem statement it follows that Adam is 7x.

The remainder of the problem statement then tells you that in four years, when their ages are 5x+4 and 7x+4, those have a ratio 3/4. Voila the crucial equation of your friend (who was either mistaken or misquoted). One equation with one unknown.

And you apparently know how to solve it :wink:

##\ ##

Likes symbolipoint, Lnewqban and harpazo
BvU said:
You are right: your post says you can't state the equation to be solved, not the other way around.

The problem statement you posted -- slightly edited

And the

is wrong.

You can't say

since they are not equal. And in addition it contradicts the next line -- which in itself is a very good start

because then from the problem statement it follows that Adam is 7x.

The remainder of the problem statement then tells you that in four years, when their ages are 5x+4 and 7x+4, those have a ratio 3/4. Voila the crucial equation of your friend (who was either mistaken or misquoted). One equation with one unknown.

And you apparently know how to solve it :wink:

##\ ##
Thanks

What is an age word problem involving ratio?

An age word problem involving ratio is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the age of one or more individuals based on the ratio of their ages to another individual's age or the ratio of their ages to a specific point in time.

How do you solve an age word problem involving ratio?

To solve an age word problem involving ratio, you first need to identify the given information and the unknown age. Then, you can set up a ratio equation using the given information and solve for the unknown age using basic algebraic principles.

What are some common strategies for solving age word problems involving ratio?

Some common strategies for solving age word problems involving ratio include setting up a ratio table, using a variable to represent the unknown age, and cross-multiplying to solve for the unknown age.

What are some real-life applications of age word problems involving ratio?

Age word problems involving ratio have many real-life applications, such as calculating the age difference between family members, determining the age of historical figures, and predicting the age of individuals in the future based on their current age and life expectancy.

What are some tips for avoiding common mistakes when solving age word problems involving ratio?

To avoid common mistakes when solving age word problems involving ratio, make sure to carefully read the problem and identify the given information and unknown age. Also, double-check your calculations and make sure to use the correct units for age (e.g. years, months, days).