Air mattress pressure question regarding partial inflation

In summary, the conversation was about the pressure on a sleep number bed and how it changes when a mass is added or removed from the mattress. The speaker also discusses the role of contact area in determining pressure and concludes that their air mattress shouldn't have had a problem with deflating and inflating.
elegysix
so last night I get on a sleep number bed and the remote reads 35 (unitless - I am assuming this number is related to pressure.) I click it down once to 30 and it deflates nearly completely. I get off the mattress, the reading drops to 5 or 10 and the mattress begins to inflate to 30.

So this got me thinking.

if we have a partially inflated air mattress, without any mass on it, I'd expect the pressure inside to be slightly above 1 atm. Then if we put a mass, m, on this mattress, I'd expect the pressure to roughly rise to mg/A, where A is the inner surface area of the barrier. (the mattress being inflated enough so that the mass does not rest on the floor.)

Now here's where it gets interesting - if the air mattress is more inflated than before, but still only partially inflated (without the mass), is the overall pressure after the mass is added still approximately mg/A ?

If there is ~constant pressure during partial inflation based on the mass, it would explain the poor response from the mattress (assuming the reading is based on pressure).

What do you think?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So the remote isn't for the TV but for the matress :smile: .

If we make a small simplification: the contact area between mass and matress is the same in the various scenarios, then the pressures will also be the same: pressure times area must offset mg and that's a constant.

So I think you have the right picture in mind !

Sleep well ! :sleep:

--

Thanks! I'd overlooked that the contact area was important... that makes complete sense. I was thinking surface area of the mattress for whatever reason.
So this means that as it inflates and deflates, a changing contact area means a changing pressure.

That means my stupid air mattress shouldn't have had a problem. Oh well.

1. What is the ideal pressure for a partially inflated air mattress?

The ideal pressure for a partially inflated air mattress varies depending on the manufacturer and the type of air mattress. However, a general rule of thumb is to inflate the mattress until it is firm to the touch but still has some give when pressure is applied.

2. How do I know if my air mattress is partially inflated?

You can tell if your air mattress is partially inflated by pressing down on it with your hand. If it feels firm and has some give, it is likely partially inflated. You can also visually inspect the mattress to see if there are any noticeable bulges or sagging areas.

3. Can I sleep on a partially inflated air mattress?

Yes, you can sleep on a partially inflated air mattress. However, it may not provide as much support and comfort as a fully inflated mattress. It is important to adjust the pressure to your desired level to ensure a comfortable night's sleep.

4. Will partially inflating an air mattress damage it?

No, partially inflating an air mattress will not damage it. In fact, it is recommended to partially inflate the mattress first and then adjust the pressure as needed. This will prevent overinflation, which can lead to damage to the seams and valves of the mattress.

5. How often should I check the pressure of a partially inflated air mattress?

You should check the pressure of a partially inflated air mattress before each use. This will ensure that the mattress is at your desired level of firmness and will also help prevent overinflation and potential damage to the mattress. It is also a good idea to periodically check the pressure throughout the night, as the air in the mattress may naturally dissipate over time.