What Forces Cause an Airbag to Jump When Detonated?

• Thread starter Urpoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary: When you light the popcorn, the heat of the flame melts the butter and causes the popcorn to pop. The heat of the explosion will also cause the airbag to pop, and the force of the expansion will cause it to jump up.
Urpoz
Let me explain: In the Finnish forum for extremely stupid people like myself, I stumbled on this kind of silly dilemma: You have an airbag, and you put it on the ground, airbag pointing upwards. When you detonate it, it will jump up and fly. What force make it jump? Is it that expanding bag which is dragging itself off the ground, gas from the explosion, opposite force of explosion towards the ground, or something completely different?

Physics news on Phys.org
The upwards force in this situation is the support force that prevents it from sinking in the ground.

Edit: in the unedited post, I said that a recoil force like with a rocket can be possible if the gases expand unsymmetrically, but this is probably not correct because the bag is a closed system.

Would you expect it to move if it was detonated while hanging on the line? How do these scenarios differ?

Also, it is not different from inflating a mattress or anything else lying on the ground. Just faster, so the effect is more prominent and spectacular.

It lifts itself up by pushing on the ground, the same as when you jump.

Likes Delta2
Another way to see the same thing -- compress a spring and tie a string around it so it stays compressed. Set it on the ground with the spring axis pointing up. Cut the string with a pair of scissors, and the spring jumps into the air. It's the rapid expansion to a larger size that generates the force to make the spring jump up. :smile:

Urpoz said:
Let me explain: In the Finnish forum for extremely stupid people like myself, I stumbled on this kind of silly dilemma: You have an airbag, and you put it on the ground, airbag pointing upwards. When you detonate it, it will jump up and fly. What force make it jump? Is it that expanding bag which is dragging itself off the ground, gas from the explosion, opposite force of explosion towards the ground, or something completely different?
Are you familiar with pop corn?

Likes anorlunda

1. What is "airbag jumping off the ground"?

"Airbag jumping off the ground" is a term used to describe a stunt or activity where an individual jumps off a platform or object onto an airbag, instead of a hard surface like the ground. This is often done for safety reasons, as the airbag provides a cushioned landing.

2. How does an airbag work for jumping off the ground?

An airbag is typically made of multiple layers of strong, flexible fabric filled with air. When someone jumps onto the airbag, the air is compressed and dispersed throughout the layers, which helps absorb the impact and reduce the force of the landing. The airbag also helps distribute the force more evenly across the body, reducing the risk of injury.

3. Is airbag jumping off the ground safe?

When done properly and with proper precautions, airbag jumping off the ground can be a relatively safe activity. However, as with any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury. It is important to use a properly maintained airbag and follow safety guidelines to minimize the risk of injury.

4. What are the benefits of using an airbag for jumping off the ground?

The main benefit of using an airbag for jumping off the ground is the reduced risk of injury. The airbag provides a softer landing surface compared to the ground or other hard surfaces. It also allows for more flexibility and creativity in stunts and activities, as the risk of injury is lower.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an airbag for jumping off the ground?

One potential drawback of using an airbag for jumping off the ground is the cost. Airbags can be expensive to purchase and maintain, making it less accessible for some individuals. Additionally, airbags can be affected by weather conditions and may not be suitable for use in certain environments.