Airconditioner on solar energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an air conditioner that runs on solar energy. The idea is met with skepticism as most air conditioners require a large amount of power that solar energy cannot provide on its own. Some suggestions are made, such as using a solar grid or a sterling engine, but it is ultimately agreed that the concept is not feasible at this time.
bags
hey frenz ,
Plz let me know about an Airconditioner working on solar energy.How does it work.Wheather any reaserch is going on this project?
Is any breakthrough has happened?Any help is welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean an air-conditioner that runs on solar energy? Most electrical air conditioners are connected to some sort of power supply and yes, that power supply can be a solar generator but as far as i know, there's no such thing as a stand-alone air conditioner that runs on solar power. They require a LOT of power that solar energy cannot supply on a self-contained unit. You can have one that is powered by a solar grid that's attached to the air conditioner... but I just don't see anyone even wanting to make it into a self-contained unit.

Well if someone asked me to design one I would consider a sterling engine (solar powered though focusing by mirrors or whatever) running a pump that moves fluid around a closed loop. This loop would be buried in the ground where the temperature is a constant 50 some degrees F year round. Run this fluid through a heat exchanger and you have an air conditioner. A solar powered heat pump for heating in the winter seems kind of silly though so I doubt I would expand on this idea.

Solar powered fan, blowing across a block of ice! Air- conditioning!:biggrin:

I'm thinking "solar-powered umbrella"...

Related to Airconditioner on solar energy

1. How does an air conditioner on solar energy work?

An air conditioner on solar energy works by using photovoltaic (PV) panels to capture sunlight and convert it into electricity. This electricity is then used to power the air conditioner, which cools the air by circulating it through a refrigerant system.

2. What are the benefits of using an air conditioner on solar energy?

Using an air conditioner on solar energy has several benefits. It reduces electricity bills, as the energy is sourced from the sun rather than the grid. It also reduces carbon emissions, making it an environmentally-friendly option. Additionally, solar energy is a renewable resource, so it is a more sustainable choice for cooling.

3. How efficient is an air conditioner on solar energy?

The efficiency of an air conditioner on solar energy depends on several factors, such as the size and type of the unit, the climate and location, and the quality of the PV panels. Generally, solar powered air conditioners are less efficient than traditional ones, as they rely on the availability of sunlight. However, advancements in technology have improved their efficiency in recent years.

4. Do I need to have direct sunlight for an air conditioner on solar energy to work?

While direct sunlight is ideal for maximum efficiency, an air conditioner on solar energy can still work on cloudy or overcast days. The PV panels can still capture and convert diffuse sunlight into electricity, although the output may be lower. It is important to ensure that the panels are installed in a location with minimal shading to maximize their effectiveness.

5. Is an air conditioner on solar energy suitable for all climates?

An air conditioner on solar energy can be suitable for all climates, but it may be more effective in some regions than others. In hot and sunny climates, the system can work efficiently and effectively, while in colder or cloudier climates, it may not provide enough cooling power. It is important to consider the climate and location when deciding if a solar powered air conditioner is the right choice for your needs.