Airflow for Garage Woodworking Shop: Does Box Size Matter?

• Thread starter Bob3141592
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airflow
In summary, the individual dimensions of the manifold do not affect its performance, as it is meant to be larger than the sum of the hoses going into it. However, the slower airflow inside the box allows it to act as a dust separator. It is important to consider the size of the fan needed for proper airflow and to consult resources such as the dust collection basics site provided. The dust collector being used is a 1 HP Delta model with separate bags for chips and finer particles, and the hoses and manifold will be properly grounded for optimal performance.
Bob3141592
I'm setting up a dust collection system for my garage woodworking shop. My plan is to build a manifold for various tools to feed into, with a single 4" exhaust port connected to the dust collector. This manifold is an 8" square by 5' box, with 4", 2 1/2" and 1 1/2" hoses going into it. All unused hoses will be blocked off by blast gates on the manifold. My question is: Do the dimensions of this box make much difference to the airflow at the tool? I know the airflow inside the larger volume box will slow, so that's why I'm putting the exhaust at the bottom. I think the air speed should pick up again in the narrower hose to the tool, but I'm not sure. I could make the box cross section only 5" square if I had to, but 8 is more convenient. Do you think it matters to performance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
By definition, the dimensions of the manifold make no difference in the performance (the point is that it has to be a fair bit larger than the sum of the sizes of the hoses going into it). However, as the airflow is slower inside the box, it will work as a dust separator - the dust will collect at the bottom of the box.

One other issue - if you consider how much airflow there is to get a vacuum cleaner working, you're talking about needing a pretty big fan.

Better than i can describe, here is a good site that should tell you all you need to know.
Check out dust collection basics.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Thanks, Russ. I suspected as much, but wanted to be sure before investing the materials and effort. The dust collector is a 1 HP Delta model with a lower bag for chips and shavings and an upper bag for finer particles. It's good for one tool at a time, which is why I'm trying to minimize airflow losses to leaks and friction. The hoses and manifold will be well grounded inside and out. It's not something I want to build twice, so I appreciate your help in getting it right the first time.

Related to Airflow for Garage Woodworking Shop: Does Box Size Matter?

1. What is the ideal box size for airflow in a garage woodworking shop?

The ideal box size for airflow in a garage woodworking shop depends on several factors, such as the size of the garage, the type of woodworking tools and equipment used, and the number of people working in the space. It is recommended to have a box size that is at least 1.5 times the size of the garage to ensure proper air circulation.

2. Can a smaller box size affect the effectiveness of airflow in a garage woodworking shop?

Yes, a smaller box size can affect the effectiveness of airflow in a garage woodworking shop. A smaller box size means less space for air to circulate, which can lead to poor ventilation and potential buildup of dust and fumes. This can be hazardous to both the health of the woodworker and the quality of the finished products.

3. Is it necessary to have multiple boxes for airflow in a garage woodworking shop?

It is not necessary to have multiple boxes for airflow in a garage woodworking shop, but it can be beneficial. Having multiple boxes can help distribute the airflow more evenly throughout the space and improve ventilation. However, it is important to ensure that the boxes are properly placed and sized to avoid any interference with the woodworkers and their equipment.

4. How often should the boxes be cleaned for optimal airflow in a garage woodworking shop?

The boxes should be cleaned regularly for optimal airflow in a garage woodworking shop. This includes removing any dust or debris that may have accumulated inside the boxes and checking for any obstructions in the air vents. It is recommended to clean the boxes at least once a month, but the frequency may vary depending on the level of use and the type of woodworking projects being done.

5. Are there any additional measures that can be taken to improve airflow in a garage woodworking shop?

Yes, there are additional measures that can be taken to improve airflow in a garage woodworking shop. These include installing proper exhaust fans, using air filters, and keeping the space well-ventilated with open doors or windows. It is also important to regularly maintain and clean any air filtration systems in the shop to ensure they are functioning properly.