Airlock Solution for Drop Tube into Water Tank

• Thread starter FMSC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Water
In summary, the individual is seeking an apparatus to solve their project, which involves dropping a steel ball into a tube and having it fall into a water tank without losing water. They are not able to use any type of energy to make it function and are wondering if there is a device or process that can be used. Suggestions are made to use two ball valves or extend the tube above the water level, but the individual mentions limitations such as the valves needing to open with the weight of the ball and the ball being unable to return to the top of the tube. The feasibility of this project is questioned and further information is requested.
FMSC
Hello,

I have searched and searched but cannot seem to find an apparatus to solve my problem.

For this project (see attachment for the drawing) I need to be able to drop a steel ball into a tube in position A and have to go into the side of the water tank and fall to the bottom of the tank without losing water. This project can not use any type of energy to make it function so I am wondering if there is some type of airlock or water lock process/device I can use. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 410
Engineering news on Phys.org
FMSC said:
Hello,

I have searched and searched but cannot seem to find an apparatus to solve my problem.

For this project (see attachment for the drawing) I need to be able to drop a steel ball into a tube in position A and have to go into the side of the water tank and fall to the bottom of the tank without losing water. This project can not use any type of energy to make it function so I am wondering if there is some type of airlock or water lock process/device I can use. Any ideas would be appreciated.
You'll have to keep the opening of the tube on the outside of the tank higher than the water level inside the tank, otherwise you'll get a wet floor.

How far up the tube BA is water permitted to fill? If you must prevent entry of water at point B you are going to have problems.
You could use two large ball valves near A in the tube, with room between them for the steel ball(s).
Close the lower valve, open the upper valve. Drop in the ball. Close the top valve then open the bottom valve to release the ball.

Baluncore said:
How far up the tube BA is water permitted to fill? If you must prevent entry of water at point B you are going to have problems.
You could use two large ball valves near A in the tube, with room between them for the steel ball(s).
Close the lower valve, open the upper valve. Drop in the ball. Close the top valve then open the bottom valve to release the ball.

Thanks for the comment Baluncore! Water can fill the tube completely. I had considered a two door system like you are referring to but could not find such a device available for purchase. I did forget to mention one important thing which is the valves would need to be able to be opened by the weight of the ball so no human intervention to operate the valves. I was thinking that some type of spring activated valve tuned to open with the weight of the ball and then would close after the ball passed through. Again, I'm not sure if there is anything like this on the market or if it would need to be fabricated.

This sounds like an attempted perpetual motion machine. What you describe is probably not possible.

Then you really have little choice but to extend the tube at A to a level above the water level in the tank. Why can you not do that ?

What drops the balls into the tube ?

In order to operate a gate or valve, the weight of the ball would need to overcome the hydrostatic pressure difference between the tube and the tank. You might partially cancel that pressure by using a spring or counter-balance, but there is not much energy available to operate the gate seals.
How deep is the tank ?
How long is the tube ?
What is the ball diameter ?

russ_watters said:
What you describe is probably not possible.
This cannot be classed as an impossible "perpetual motion machine" without some magic way of closing the cycle by returning the balls to the top of the tube. Hence my question "What drops the balls into the tube ? ".

What is an airlock between water and air?

An airlock between water and air is a sealed chamber that serves as a transitional space between a water-filled environment and an air-filled environment. It is commonly used in underwater habitats, diving chambers, and spacecraft to maintain pressure and prevent water from flooding the air-filled space.

How does an airlock between water and air work?

An airlock typically has two doors, one facing the water and one facing the air. When one door is closed, the other door can be opened, allowing a person or object to pass through. The airlock is then pressurized or depressurized to match the pressure of the other environment before the second door can be opened.

Why is an airlock necessary between water and air?

An airlock is necessary to prevent water from flooding into the air-filled space and to maintain the pressure equilibrium between the two environments. Sudden pressure changes can be dangerous for humans and can also damage equipment.

What are the risks associated with using an airlock between water and air?

The main risks associated with using an airlock between water and air are decompression sickness (also known as "the bends") and drowning. Decompression sickness can occur if a person enters or exits the airlock too quickly, causing nitrogen gas bubbles to form in their bloodstream. Drowning can happen if there is a malfunction in the airlock's pressure system, leading to a sudden influx of water into the air-filled chamber.

What safety measures are in place to prevent accidents in an airlock between water and air?

To prevent accidents, airlocks are equipped with safety features such as pressure sensors, emergency venting systems, and backup doors. Divers and astronauts also undergo thorough training on how to safely use an airlock and how to respond in case of an emergency.