Aldol Condensation rxn- NaOH + acetone, then add benzaldehyde = ?

In summary: If another deprotonation occurs, I get this as the final product:The third possibility is that the benzaldehyde will add to the enolate formed from the previous step. In that case, the final product would be 4-methyl-3-penten-2-one.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
1. "Students were instructed to mix the benzaldehyde and acetone starting materials in their conical vials before adding the ethanolic sodium hydroxide solution.
Why was this essential to the success of the reaction?
What would have been the most likely product formed if the sodium hydroxide solution were added to the vial first, followed by acetone and then waiting a few minutes to add the benzaldehyde?
Provide a balanced equation showing this reaction:"

2. From the reaction of NaOH with acetone, I thought the product would be
4-methyl-3-penten-3-one + 2H2O + NaOH.

Then I'm confused about what happens once benzaldehyde is added...

I'm wondering if the NaOH deprotonates the alpha carbons of 4-methyl-3-penten-3-one again, which would cause the benzaldehydes to add...

If another deprotonation occurs, I get this as the final product:
bigmoleculepic_zps2e7fad34.png

I thought the steric strain from the 2 hydroxyls might cause a dehydration reaction, which results in the ether bond...?

Not sure... This seems like too weird of a product to be right... Please help?!
Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
2. From the reaction of NaOH with acetone, I thought the product would be
4-methyl-3-penten-3-one + 2H2O + NaOH.
You've got the right idea: acetone will undergo an aldol self-condensation in the presence of strong base. But your product is wrong. The alpha carbon of an acetone enolate species will attack the carbonyl carbon of a neutral acetone to give 4-hydroxy-4-methyl-2-pentanone (praying to the IUPAC gods that I got that name right). It's basically an acetone with an isopropyl alcohol hanging off the alpha carbon.

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
Then I'm confused about what happens once benzaldehyde is added...

I'm wondering if the NaOH deprotonates the alpha carbons of 4-methyl-3-penten-3-one again, which would cause the benzaldehydes to add...
This one is a little trickier and, honestly, you'll probably get an ugly mixture of stuff. Again, you have the kernel of the right idea: NaOH could give you the enolate of the 2-pentanone product above. Then you'd expect an aldol condensation with the benzaldehyde. But there's a wrinkle, because the hydroxyl group can lose a proton as well. I'm not entirely sure where the equilibrium will lie in this situation, so I can't say whether the enolate or the alkoxide will dominate. If it's the enolate, the condensation will proceed as normal, but if it's the alkoxide, the reaction will either be slow or won't go at all.

1. What is the purpose of using NaOH and acetone in the Aldol Condensation reaction?

The combination of NaOH and acetone serves as a base and a solvent, respectively, in the Aldol Condensation reaction. The base deprotonates the alpha-hydrogen atom of the acetone, making it a nucleophile, while the solvent helps to facilitate the reaction and increase the yield of the desired product.

2. Why is benzaldehyde added to the reaction mixture?

Benzaldehyde serves as the electrophile in the Aldol Condensation reaction. It reacts with the deprotonated acetone to form an enolate ion, which then undergoes a nucleophilic attack on the carbonyl carbon of the benzaldehyde. This results in the formation of a beta-hydroxyketone product.

3. Can other aldehydes or ketones be used instead of benzaldehyde?

Yes, other aldehydes and ketones can be used in the Aldol Condensation reaction. However, the reactivity and selectivity of the reaction may vary depending on the specific reactants used.

4. What is the mechanism of the Aldol Condensation reaction?

The Aldol Condensation reaction proceeds through a two-step mechanism: first, the base deprotonates the alpha-hydrogen atom of the carbonyl compound, forming an enolate ion. Next, the enolate ion attacks the electrophilic carbonyl carbon of another carbonyl compound, resulting in the formation of a beta-hydroxyketone product.

5. How can the yield of the Aldol Condensation reaction be increased?

The yield of the Aldol Condensation reaction can be increased by using an excess of the reactants, using a strong base, controlling the reaction temperature, and optimizing the reaction conditions. Additionally, purification techniques such as recrystallization can also improve the yield of the desired product.