Algebra Not Needed After High School

In summary: I know that I can do better than this, and I will do better because I refuse to let public school education hold me back.In summary, students say that they don't need algebra because it is not required for success after high school, but they would be better off if they were taught to learn and pass exams.
mathdad
Why do students say, as a typical excuse, "I don't need this algebra stuff because it is not required for success after high school"? What do you say? I say we use algebra everyday and don't even realize it.

Science news on Phys.org
I think they take it for granted that they didn't need to denote a number with a letter so they think that they don't use algebra.

It is sad to know that so many students, especially public school students, graduate with a false hope of a bright tomorrow. After high school, they enroll into college only to get a so-so education, you know, just enough to get by. I know people with a Master's Degree in various fields that cannot pass a reading test at the SAT level. How on Earth were they able to complete college? Easy: THEY SIMPLY GOT PROMOTED WITHOUT ACTUALLY LEARNING A SINGLE THING. Too much time TEACHING THE TEST and not enough time teaching and learning in our schools.

RTCNTC said:
Too much time TEACHING THE TEST and not enough time teaching and learning in our schools.

This stood out to me.

I don't know how it is on the other side of the Atlantic, but in the universities here, graded hand-in homework is becoming more and more common. At first sight, that may seem like a good thing (students get feedback, they can already collect points towards passing the course, etc.) but in my experience it can lead to exactly the following: During tutorials and exercise classes, students are mainly concerned with finishing the hand-in assignment before the deadline and they forget about the other problems that were also on this week's list. They are trained to pass, more than learn. I think they should be trained in both.

Last edited:
Students are taught to pass exams but learning is not taking place. I consider myself a victim of public school education. After graduating from high school, I took the NYPD exam and scored a 58 percent. I'll never forget it. It was at that moment in time when I found out that my high school diploma was just a piece of paper, a certificate that I did not deserve to have, honestly.

I went to college and worked really hard to increase my academic skills. BTW, I failed ALL THREE COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS: MATH, READING, WRITING. I had to take and pass remedial courses without credits. I passed the math and writing exams after completing the remedial training but had to take the reading exam several times before finally passing with a score of 29/40. If memory serves me right, the passing score was 27/40. This is after high school graduation.

Related to Algebra Not Needed After High School

1. Why do I need to learn algebra if I'm not planning on pursuing a career in math or science?

While it may seem like algebra is only relevant for those in math or science fields, it actually has many practical applications in daily life. Algebra teaches problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and logical reasoning, all of which are valuable in any career or situation. It also helps develop abstract thinking and can improve overall mathematical fluency.

2. Can't I just use a calculator instead of learning algebra?

While calculators can certainly help with complex calculations, they should not be relied upon for all mathematical problem-solving. Understanding algebraic concepts and equations enables you to check if your calculator's answer makes sense and to apply it to real-world situations. Additionally, not all problems can be solved with a calculator, especially in fields like computer science and engineering.

3. What are some examples of real-life applications of algebra?

Algebra is used in various fields, including finance, engineering, computer science, and statistics. For example, algebra can help you calculate profit and loss in business, design and build structures, write code for computer programs, and analyze data to make informed decisions. It is also used in everyday tasks like budgeting, cooking, and understanding sports statistics.

4. Is it true that other countries don't require algebra in their education system?

While it may be true that some countries do not have algebra as a specific subject in their education system, the concepts and skills taught in algebra are still incorporated in their math curriculum. Furthermore, many countries that do not have a specific algebra course still have high expectations for their students to be proficient in algebraic problem-solving and critical thinking.

5. Can I just learn algebra in high school and not worry about it after that?

Algebra is a fundamental branch of mathematics that serves as a building block for more advanced math courses. It is essential to have a strong foundation in algebra to succeed in higher-level math and science courses in college. Additionally, many careers, such as those in finance, engineering, and data analysis, require a solid understanding of algebra. Therefore, it is crucial to continue practicing and applying algebraic concepts beyond high school.