Algebraic Closure of Fp [Lang, Algebra, Chapter 6, Problem 22]

In summary: Therefore, in summary, we have proved that the field $K$ obtained from $\mathbf{F}_p$ by adjoining all primitive $\ell$-th roots of unity for primes $\ell \neq p$ is algebraically closed.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Problem. Let $K$ be the field obtained from $\mathbf F_p$ by adjoining all primitive $\ell$-th roots of unity for primes $\ell\neq p$. Then $K$ is algebraically closed.

It suffices to show that the polynomial $x^{p^n}-x$ splits in $K$ for all $n$.
In order to show this, it in turn suffices to show that the polynomial $x^{q^n}-1$ splits in $K$ for all primes $q\neq p$ and all $n$. This is because $x^{p^n}-1= x(x^{p^n-1}-1)$. Say $p^n-1=p_1^{k_1} \cdots p_m^{k_m}$, where $p_i$'s are distinct primes. Assuming each $f_i(x):=x^{p_1^{k_i}}-1$ splits in $K$, we deduce that $K$ has a primitive $p_i^{k_i}$-th root of unity for all $1\leq i\leq m$ since each $f_i$ is separable by the derivative test. If $\zeta_i$ denotes the primitive $p_i^{k_i}$-th root of unity in $K$, then we see that $\zeta_1\times \cdots\times \zeta_m$ is a primitive $p_q^{k_1}\times \cdots \times p_m^{k_m}$-th root of unity and we see that $x^{p^n-1}-1$ splits in $K$.

So the problem boils down to showing that $x^{q^n}-1$ splits in $K$ for all primes $q\neq p$ and all $n$.

I am stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone help me? I would suggest approaching the problem in a systematic and logical way. First, we need to understand the field $K$ and its properties. It is clear from the definition that $K$ is a field extension of $\mathbf{F}_p$ obtained by adjoining all primitive $\ell$-th roots of unity for primes $\ell \neq p$. This means that $K$ contains all the $\ell$-th roots of unity for $\ell \neq p$, which implies that it is a Galois extension of $\mathbf{F}_p$. Furthermore, since $\mathbf{F}_p$ is a finite field, we know that $K$ is also a finite field.

Next, we need to understand the polynomial $x^{q^n}-1$ and its roots in $K$. Since $K$ contains all the primitive $\ell$-th roots of unity for $\ell \neq p$, it follows that $K$ also contains all the $q^n$-th roots of unity. This means that all the roots of $x^{q^n}-1$ are contained in $K$. Therefore, $x^{q^n}-1$ splits in $K$.

Now, we can use induction to show that $x^{p^n}-x$ splits in $K$ for all $n$. The base case $n=1$ is already established above. For the induction step, assume that $x^{p^n}-x$ splits in $K$. We want to show that $x^{p^{n+1}}-x$ also splits in $K$. Note that $x^{p^{n+1}}-x = (x^{p^n}-x)^p$. By our assumption, $x^{p^n}-x$ splits in $K$, so its roots are contained in $K$. Since $K$ is a field, this means that $(x^{p^n}-x)^p$ also splits in $K$. Therefore, $x^{p^{n+1}}-x$ splits in $K$, completing the induction step.

In conclusion, we have shown that $x^{p^n}-x$ splits in $K$ for all $n$, which implies that $K$ is algebraically closed.

What is the "Algebraic Closure" of Fp?

The algebraic closure of Fp is the smallest algebraically closed field containing the finite field Fp. In other words, it is the field extension of Fp that includes all the roots of all polynomials in Fp.

Why is the "Algebraic Closure" of Fp important?

The algebraic closure of Fp is important because it allows us to solve polynomial equations over Fp. It also helps us understand the structure and properties of finite fields.

How is the "Algebraic Closure" of Fp related to Galois Theory?

The algebraic closure of Fp is closely related to Galois Theory, which is the study of field extensions and their symmetries. The Galois group of the algebraic closure of Fp is isomorphic to the group of automorphisms of Fp, which helps us understand the structure of finite fields.

What is the significance of the "Algebraic Closure" of Fp being an infinite field?

The algebraic closure of Fp is an infinite field, meaning it contains infinitely many elements. This is significant because it allows us to have solutions to polynomial equations with infinitely many roots, unlike finite fields which have a finite number of elements.

How can the "Algebraic Closure" of Fp be constructed?

The algebraic closure of Fp can be constructed by taking the union of all the finite extensions of Fp. This means adding all the roots of all polynomials in Fp to Fp, and then repeating the process with the new extended field until all polynomials have roots.