Algebraic Extensions - Lovett, Example 7.2.7 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary: Q} } (x) in L[x]. Therefore, we can conclude that m_{ \alpha , \mathbb{Q} } (x) = (x^2 - 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1)(x^2 + 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1).I hope this helps to clarify the steps leading to the formula for m_{ \alpha , \mathbb{Q} } (x) in L[x]. Please let me know if you have any further questions.In summary, we can use the fact that \alpha is a root of the polynomial p(x) = x^4 - 10x^2 + 1 to deduce that it is also a
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications" by Stephen Lovett ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 7: Field Extensions ... ...

I need help with Example 7.2.7 ...Example 7.2.7 reads as follows:View attachment 6591
View attachment 6592In the above example from Lovett, we read the following:

" ... ... From our previous calculation, we see that in \(\displaystyle L[x]\),

\(\displaystyle m_{ \alpha , \mathbb{Q} } (x) = ( x^2 - 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1) ( x^2 + 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1) \)

... ... ... "
I cannot see how this formula for the minimum polynomial in \(\displaystyle L[x]\) is derived ... Can someone please explain how Lovett derives the above expression for \(\displaystyle m_{ \alpha , \mathbb{Q} } (x) \) ... ... ?Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter
*** EDIT ***Just noted that earlier in the example we have that \(\displaystyle \alpha = \sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}\) is a root of

\(\displaystyle p(x) = x^4 - 10 x^2 + 1 \)

which factors (in one case of two possibilities) as follows:

\(\displaystyle p(x) = (x^2 + cx - 1) (x^2 + dx - 1) \)

and this solves to \(\displaystyle (c,d) = \pm ( 2 \sqrt{2}, - 2 \sqrt{2} ) \)

... but how and why we can move from a field in which we have \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) and \(\displaystyle \sqrt{3}\) to one in which we only have \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) ... ... I am not sure ... seems a bit slick ... indeed I certainly don't follow Lovett's next step which is to say " ... ... Hence, \(\displaystyle \alpha\) is a root of one of those two quadratics. By direct observation, we find that

\(\displaystyle m_{ \alpha , L } (x) = ( x^2 - 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1)\) ... "Can someone please explain what is going on here ... in particular, why must \(\displaystyle \alpha\) be a root of one of those two quadratics?Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help with Example 7.2.7 in "Abstract Algebra: Structures and Applications." I will do my best to explain the steps leading up to the formula for the minimum polynomial m_{ \alpha , \mathbb{Q} } (x) in L[x].

In the example, we are given that \alpha = \sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3} is a root of the polynomial p(x) = x^4 - 10x^2 + 1. This means that p(\alpha) = 0, and \alpha is an element of the field extension L = \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3}). From this, we can deduce that \alpha is also a root of the polynomial q(x) = (x - \sqrt{2} - \sqrt{3})(x - \sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3})(x + \sqrt{2} - \sqrt{3})(x + \sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}). This is because if we substitute \sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3} into q(x), we get q(\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}) = 0.

Next, we can use the fact that q(x) can be factored into two quadratics (as you noted in your edit). This is because q(x) is a polynomial of degree four, and every polynomial of degree n has n roots (counting multiplicity). Therefore, we can write q(x) = (x^2 + cx - 1)(x^2 + dx - 1). We can solve for c and d by comparing coefficients with the original polynomial p(x) = x^4 - 10x^2 + 1. This gives us the solutions (c,d) = \pm ( 2 \sqrt{2}, -2 \sqrt{2} ).

Finally, we can use this information to write q(x) as a product of two quadratics that have \alpha as a root. By substituting the values for c and d, we get q(x) = (x^2 - 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1)(x^2 + 2 \sqrt{2} x - 1). This is the same expression that we see in the formula for m_{ \alpha , \mathbb

Related to Algebraic Extensions - Lovett, Example 7.2.7 .... ....

1. What is an algebraic extension?

An algebraic extension is a field extension in which every element is a root of a polynomial with coefficients in the base field. In other words, every element in the extended field can be expressed as a solution to a polynomial equation with coefficients from the base field.

2. How is an algebraic extension different from a transcendental extension?

An algebraic extension is different from a transcendental extension in that elements in an algebraic extension can be expressed as solutions to polynomial equations, while elements in a transcendental extension cannot be expressed in this way. In other words, an algebraic extension is a finite extension, while a transcendental extension is an infinite extension.

3. What is the degree of an algebraic extension?

The degree of an algebraic extension is the degree of the minimal polynomial of any element in the extended field. This is the smallest degree of a polynomial with coefficients in the base field that has the element as a root.

4. How can algebraic extensions be used in mathematical proofs?

Algebraic extensions are often used in mathematical proofs to show that certain elements or equations have solutions in a given field. They also provide a way to extend the operations and structures of the base field to the extended field, allowing for a deeper understanding of the properties of the field.

5. Can an algebraic extension have an infinite degree?

No, an algebraic extension must have a finite degree. This is because every element in an algebraic extension can be expressed as a solution to a polynomial equation, and a polynomial can only have a finite number of roots. Therefore, the degree of an algebraic extension must be finite.