Aligning effect in uniform field

In summary: Ok, it is necessary using the stationary-action principle show that the vectors of the instantaneous velocity and force over time should approach each other in directionThe component of velocity parallel to the force increases in magnitude. The component perpendicular to the force doesn't.
reterty
I would like to discuss the nature of the following effect. At whatever angle and with whatever initial speed the particle fly into a uniform potential field, over time the directions of the instantaneous velocity and field strength converge. The kinematics and dynamics here are trivial, but I wondered: is there any general principle (such as the least action) that dictates this effect? Long attempts led me to a very vague "Maximum power principle" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim...T.,that reinforce production and efficiency." which in relation to this problem can be formulated as follows: "the system tends to move to such a movement that the power transfer of energy from potential to kinetic was maximum. It seems to be true, since instantaneous power is defined as the scalar product of force and instantaneous speed...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need a specific example to reduce the field of discussion.

The interaction between the particles and the fluid will be orientation dependent. Some orientations will be stable, and so remain for longer, increasing membership of that orientation population.

Baluncore said:
I think you need a specific example to reduce the field of discussion.

The interaction between the particles and the fluid will be orientation dependent. Some orientations will be stable, and so remain for longer, increasing membership of that orientation population.
I mean force fields: classical gravitational or electric field

For conservative fields, forces are typically related to the gradient of the potential vis. $$\vec E=-\nabla {\phi}$$ Is that what you need?

hutchphd said:
For conservative fields, forces are typically related to the gradient of the potential vis. $$\vec E=-\nabla {\phi}$$ Is that what you need?
No, my question concerns the nature of the aligning effect (see above)

In my vernacular the aligning agent is called a force. So I am completely clueless as to what you are asking..

Likes nasu and vanhees71
hutchphd said:
In my vernacular the aligning agent is called a force. So I am completely clueless as to what you are asking..
Ok, it is necessary using the stationary-action principle show that the vectors of the instantaneous velocity and force over time should approach each other in direction

The component of velocity parallel to the force increases in magnitude. The component perpendicular to the force doesn't. What else would be needed?

Likes jbriggs444 and vanhees71

1. What is the "aligning effect" in a uniform field?

The aligning effect in a uniform field refers to the phenomenon where particles or objects tend to orient themselves in the direction of the field. This is due to the interaction between the field and the particles' dipole moments or magnetic moments.

2. How does the strength of the uniform field affect the aligning effect?

The strength of the uniform field directly affects the degree of alignment in the particles. A stronger field will result in a more pronounced aligning effect, while a weaker field may not have a significant impact on the orientation of the particles.

3. Can the aligning effect be observed in non-magnetic materials?

Yes, the aligning effect can also be observed in non-magnetic materials such as liquid crystals. In these materials, the molecules have a preferred orientation and can be aligned by an external uniform field.

4. How is the aligning effect used in scientific research?

The aligning effect is used in various scientific fields, such as material science and biology, to study the properties and behavior of particles and molecules. It can also be utilized in technologies such as liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and magnetic storage devices.

5. What factors can influence the aligning effect in a uniform field?

Aside from the strength of the field, other factors that can influence the aligning effect include the shape and size of the particles, the temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Additionally, the type of field (magnetic, electric, etc.) and the direction of the field can also impact the alignment of particles.