Ali's question at Yahoo Answers (ker f)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, every subspace $U$ of a finite dimensional vector space $V$ is the kernel of a linear transformation from $V$ to $V$.In summary, every subspace U of a finite dimensional vector space V is the kernel of a linear transformation from V to V, which can be constructed by defining a linear map that has a diagonal matrix with blocks of zeros and the identity matrix. This map will have the desired subspace as its kernel.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Prove that every subspace U of a finite dimensional vector space V is the kernel of a linear transformation from V to V.

Please help, it seems quite obvious but I have no idea how to start.

Thanks.

Here is a link to the question:

Subspaces, kernel of vector spaces? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Ali,

Suppose that $B_U=\{u_1,\ldots,u_r\}$ is a basis of $U$. According to the incomplete basis theorem, there exist vectors $u_{r+1},\ldots,u_n$ such that $B_V=\{u_1,\ldots,u_n\}$ is a basis of $V$. Define the linear map $$f:V\to V,\qquad\left \{ \begin{matrix}f(u_i)=0&\mbox{if}&1\le i \le r\\ f(u_i)=u_i&\mbox{if}&r+1\le i \le n\end{matrix}\right.$$ The matrix of $f$ with respect to $B_V$ is diagonal by blocks:$$A=\begin{bmatrix}{0_{r\times r}}&{0_{r\times (n-r)}}\\{0_{(n-r)r\times r}}&{I_{(n-r)\times (n-r)}}\end{bmatrix}$$ Then, $x\in V$ (with coordinates $X=(x_j)^T$ with respect to $B_V$) belongs to $\ker f$ if and only if $AX=0$ or equivalently, if and only if $$X=(\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_r,0,\ldots,0)^T\quad (\alpha_i\in \mathbb{K})$$ which are the coordinates of all vectors of $U$. That is, $\ker f= U$.

1. What is Ali's question about at Yahoo Answers?

Ali's question at Yahoo Answers is about the word "kerf" and its meaning.

2. What is the definition of "kerf"?

The definition of "kerf" is the width of a cut made by a saw or other cutting tool.

3. Can you provide an example of "kerf"?

One example of "kerf" is the space left after a circular saw cuts through a piece of wood, creating a thin slot or gap.

4. Is "kerf" a commonly used term?

Yes, "kerf" is a commonly used term in woodworking and other industries where cutting tools are used.

5. How is "kerf" related to the thickness of a material?

The thickness of a material can affect the width of the kerf produced by a cutting tool. Thicker materials may require wider kerfs to achieve the desired cut, while thinner materials may require narrower kerfs.