Also in 3D, two reflections make a rotation?

nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In the plane, two reflections across non-parallel lines make a rotation around the point of intersection of those two lines. But in 3D, do two reflections across non-parallel planes make a rotation around the line of intersection of the two planes?
The easiest proof I know for the 2D statement in the summary does not carry over nicely to the 3D statement since rotations in 3D don't necessarily commute (the 2D proof uses this commuting among rotations in the plane around a common point). Before I then try to modify the proof so that it works, I would like to know whether the statement for 3D is even true. Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would refer you to Linear and Geometric Algebra by Alan Macdonald, problem 7.3.9:
7.3.9 (1 rotation ##\equiv ## 2 reflections) a. Show that the composition of two reflections in hyperplanes is a rotation, with the angle of rotation twice the angle between the hyperplanes.
b. Show that a rotation is the composition of two reflections in hyperplanes, with the angle between the hyperplanes half the angle of rotation.

I am not sure how well this matches your question, but I think it does.

• Love
Likes nomadreid and Hornbein
Super! It answers my question very well. Thank you, FactChecker!

Likes FactChecker

What is the concept of "Also in 3D, two reflections make a rotation"?

When two reflections are performed successively in three-dimensional space, the result is a rotation about a fixed axis. This concept is a fundamental principle in geometry and is used to explain the relationship between reflections and rotations in 3D space.

How do reflections and rotations differ in 3D space?

In three-dimensional space, reflections and rotations are distinct transformations. A reflection involves flipping an object over a plane, while a rotation involves turning an object around a fixed axis. When two reflections are combined, they create a rotation about a line that is perpendicular to the plane of reflection.

Can you provide an example to illustrate how two reflections make a rotation in 3D?

Imagine a cube positioned in 3D space. If you perform two reflections of the cube across two different planes that intersect at a right angle, the resulting transformation will be a rotation of the cube around an axis that passes through the intersection of the two planes.

What is the mathematical representation of two reflections making a rotation in 3D?

In mathematical terms, the composition of two reflections in 3D space can be represented as a rotation. This rotation can be described using matrix multiplication and quaternion algebra, which provide a concise way to express the transformation that occurs when two reflections are combined.

How is the concept of two reflections making a rotation applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of two reflections making a rotation in 3D space is used in various applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. Understanding this relationship allows scientists and engineers to manipulate objects in three-dimensional space efficiently and accurately, leading to advancements in technology and innovation.