Altered Carbon Season 2 -- Better to have read the novel or not?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the differences between the books and Netflix's adaptation of the Takeshi Kovacs character. The first season was close to the novel, but the second season deviates significantly, causing confusion for those who have read the books. The third season will likely incorporate elements from the third book, while the fourth and fifth seasons will be completely new. There is also discussion about the quality of the first book and the possibility of the author writing more Kovacs novels.
member 656954
I love Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs character, and after Netflix serialized Altered Carbon in 2018, I went back and read all three novels again: Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies.

Netflix has now released season two of Altered Carbon, which seems so nominally based on Broken Angels, that it raised a thought: for viewing benefit is it better to have read the novel or not?

I understand it's a tricky question, but the 2018 series was very close to the novel. This second season isn't, and, honestly, I am finding it hard to watch because it is triggering "Huh?" moments all the time as the plot veers away from the book. This includes the same characters operating in such entirely different ways to the novel, it is mystifying. Apparently, Morgan does have a say in the screenplay, so it does not seem to be a studio mangling an author's work, but I don't understand why you would need to change what is a terrific story.

Anyway, my question is likely to be only answerable if you've read the novel and seen the Netflix show, but I'd be interested in any view on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've read the books long before the series, and it took me as quite a surprise how different was the novel and the series (first season). I can understand the differences ( too much to explain, and they were not sure that it'll survive for a second season), but decided to pass any further seasons.

Maybe I'll reconsider in case of ever re-reading the books - then maybe I'll watch the show first, since it was visually quite good. It'll be a good addition to pepper up the book.

Rive said:
maybe I'll watch the show first

I think in this instance, that's a good strategy, @Rive, because the narrative deviations you'd have seen in the first Altered Carbon season are rifts in the spacetime continuum in this season by comparison!

For me, a good example of bad SF, ignoring the consequences of revolutionary technology.

Tghu Verd said:
the narrative deviations you'd have seen in the first Altered Carbon season are rifts in the spacetime continuum in this season by comparison!
Guessed that: while the actual story of the first season was close to the book, the painted background was completely different. And the second season is about facing the 'afterlife' of that background, so...

GTOM said:
For me, a good example of bad SF, ignoring the consequences of revolutionary technology.

Do you mean the novels?

Rive said:
And the second season is about facing the 'afterlife' of that background, so...

So indeed. They have taken the plot concept of book 3, Woken Furies, and populated it with characters from both that and Broken Angels. It really is a mishmash of two books which is terribly confusing if you know the novels at all.

Tghu Verd said:
It really is a mishmash of two books...
Ugh. Is it that bad?

What will they cook up for the third season, then?:eek:

Last edited:
Yes, the first book. I couldn't finish it.

Rive said:
Ugh. Is it that bad?

It is if you've read them, because it triggers so many WTF responses :mad:

Rive said:
What will they cook up for the third season, then?

And the fourth...and the fifth! Apparently Netflix has optioned for five series. But I'm guessing they'll do the third book plot in the third series, then it's all new. Morgan, who said he was never writing another Kovacs novel, seems to have a renewed interest in the character (though I thought that his character Hakan Veil from Thin Air pretty much was Kovacs) which I am hoping is true.

GTOM said:
Yes, the first book. I couldn't finish it.

Ahh, it's not for everyone, obviously.

1. Should I read the novel before watching Altered Carbon Season 2?

It is not necessary to read the novel before watching the second season of Altered Carbon. The show is based on the novel, but the plot and characters have been adapted for the screen. However, reading the novel may provide additional context and background information that could enhance your viewing experience.

2. Will watching Altered Carbon Season 1 help me understand Season 2?

Yes, it is recommended to watch the first season before starting the second. The events of Season 2 directly follow the events of Season 1 and many characters and plot points carry over. Watching the first season will provide a better understanding of the world and its rules.

3. Does Altered Carbon Season 2 follow the same story as the novel?

No, the second season of Altered Carbon deviates from the novel's story. While some elements and characters may be similar, the overall plot has been changed for the show. This allows for new and unexpected twists for both readers and viewers.

4. Will the show spoil the novel for me?

The show and the novel have significant differences, so watching the show will not spoil the novel for you. However, if you plan on reading the novel after watching the show, some major plot points may be spoiled for you.

5. Can I watch Altered Carbon Season 2 without having seen Season 1?

While it is possible to watch the second season without having seen the first, it is not recommended. The show builds upon events and character development from the first season, and watching the second season first may lead to confusion and missing important details.

Back