Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride

• Thread starter Jimbo57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary, the balanced chemical equation is 3CuCl2(aq) + 2Al(s) --> 2AlCl3(aq) + 3Cu(s). To determine the moles of Cu produced when 4.8 mol of Al react, we use the ratio of 2Al to 3Cu, resulting in 7.2 mol of Cu. To find the grams of Al needed to produce 12.7g of Cu, we first convert the grams of Cu to moles, then use the ratio of 2Al to 3Cu to calculate the moles of Al needed, which is then converted to grams. Coefficients in a balanced equation only indicate ratios, not actual amounts.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

3CuCl2(aq) + 2Al(s) --> 2AlCl3(aq) + 3Cu(s)

a) If 4.8 mol of Al react in the process, how many moles of Cu are produced?
b) How many grams of Al will be necessary in order to produce 12.7g of Copper?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) This one is tricky in that I originally did 4.8/2Al X 3Cu = 7.2mol of Cu but then I realized that there is still only 3mol of Cu present as a reactant regardless of the concentration of Al. So I would assume the 3Cu would stay the same.

b) 12.7/63.5 gr Cu= 0.2mol Cu
0.2mol Cu x 2Al/3Cu = 0.13mol Al
0.13mol Al x 27gr/mol = 3.6gr Al for 12.7gr of Cu

How does that look?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:
This one is tricky in that I originally did 4.8/2Al X 3Cu = 7.2mol of Cu but then I realized that there is still only 3mol of Cu present as a reactant

Where is it stated?

b) 12.7/63.5 gr Cu= 0.2mol Cu
0.2mol Cu x 2Al/3Cu = 0.13mol Al
0.13mol Al x 27gr/mol = 3.6gr Al for 12.7gr of Cu

How does that look?

Much better.

Hey Borek,

I was assuming that 3CuCl2(aq) meant there was 3 mol copper present, but I'm guessing that isn't the case (I'm very new to this). So my original assumption is the better one?
4.8/2Al X 3Cu = 7.2mol of Cu

Yes. Coefficients don't say anything about the amounts - only about their ratios during reaction.

Borek said:
Yes. Coefficients don't say anything about the amounts - only about their ratios during reaction.

Thanks for the help :)

What is the chemical formula for Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride?

The chemical formula for Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride is AlCl3 and CuCl2, respectively. In this compound, aluminum and copper are bonded to three and two chlorine atoms, respectively.

What is the difference between Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride?

The main difference between Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride is their chemical composition. Aluminum chloride is a compound composed of aluminum and chlorine atoms, while copper(II) chloride is a compound composed of copper and chlorine atoms. In terms of physical properties, aluminum chloride is a white solid while copper(II) chloride is a greenish-blue solid.

What are the common uses of Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride?

Aluminum chloride is commonly used as a catalyst in chemical reactions, such as in the production of dyes and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in water treatment to remove impurities. Copper(II) chloride is used in the production of fungicides, pigments, and as a catalyst in organic synthesis reactions.

Are Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride harmful to the environment?

Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride can be harmful to the environment if not disposed of properly. These compounds can release toxic gases when heated and can cause harm to aquatic life if they enter water bodies. It is important to handle and dispose of these compounds according to proper safety measures.

Can Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride react with each other?

Yes, Aluminum and Copper(II) Chloride can react with each other to form a compound called aluminum copper chloride. This reaction occurs when aluminum metal is added to a solution of copper(II) chloride, resulting in a displacement reaction where aluminum takes the place of copper in the compound. The resulting compound has the chemical formula AlCuCl4.