Am I understanding horizontal shift properly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of shifting a graph horizontally by a constant value c. The value of f at x is the same as the value of f at x-c, and therefore the graph of y=f(x-c) is just the graph of y=f(x) shifted c units to the right. The concept is best understood by plotting the graphs for different values of c.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

I mean, it does make sense, if I plot f(x)= x^2 and f(x-1) = (x-1)^2 and find where they intersect the x/y axis, it does make sense. But the book I'm reading (Stewarts) confuses me with the following:"Likewise, if g(x) = f(x-c), c>0, then the value of g at x is the same as the value of f at x-c. Therefore, the graph of y= f(x-c) is just the graph of y=f(x) shifted c units to the right"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part does not confuse me at all. If you have g(x), and at the point x it is the same value as the function f at the point x-c, then it will be the same function f, shifted to the right c units.

For the second part please let me know if I am understanding correctly:

It would be like starting with just your graph of the coordinate system, y and x, and then compressing x like it is a spring, by c units. then you draw your function, and let go of he spring. now you have your original axis, with the function shifted and the max height of the spring is where your function is suppose to be graphed on your original axis

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm it seems like its best to just look at it in terms of a number line. x-3 = 0 means x is located at location 3 despite the -.

r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

I mean, it does make sense, if I plot f(x)= x^2 and f(x-1) = (x-1)^2 and find where they intersect the x/y axis, it does make sense. But the book I'm reading (Stewarts) confuses me with the following:"Likewise, if g(x) = f(x-c), c>0, then the value of g at x is the same as the value of f at x-c. Therefore, the graph of y= f(x-c) is just the graph of y=f(x) shifted c units to the right"

Homework Equations

The first part does not confuse me at all. If you have g(x), and at the point x it is the same value as the function f at the point x-c, then it will be the same function f, shifted to the right c units.

It would be like starting with just your graph of the coordinate system, y and x, and then compressing x like it is a spring, by c units. then you draw your function, and let go of he spring. now you have your original axis, with the function shifted and the max height of the spring is where your function is suppose to be graphed on your original axis

You can easily figure all this out for yourself---and doing that is the very best way to learn! Just take some simple ##f(x)## and plot the graphs of ##y = f(x)## and ##y = f(x-c)## for some numerical value of ##c## (such as ##c=1## or ##c = -1##). When you do that, what do you see?

r0bHadz said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I don't believe the graph is compressed like a spring as you originally stated, but rather shifted to the right without changing any other properties of the graph. Compressions come up when f(x) is multiplied by constants, not when they are added or subtracted

1. What is a horizontal shift?

A horizontal shift is a transformation that moves a graph or object horizontally along the x-axis without changing its shape or size.

2. How do I know if I am understanding horizontal shift properly?

You can check if you understand horizontal shift properly by looking at the new x-coordinates of the points on the graph after the shift. If the x-coordinates have all shifted by the same amount, then you have understood it correctly.

3. How is horizontal shift different from vertical shift?

Horizontal shift moves a graph or object left or right along the x-axis, while vertical shift moves it up or down along the y-axis. Horizontal shift does not change the y-coordinates of the points on the graph, while vertical shift does not change the x-coordinates.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative horizontal shift?

A positive horizontal shift moves a graph or object to the right, while a negative horizontal shift moves it to the left. This is based on the direction of the x-axis, which goes from left to right.

5. How can I visualize a horizontal shift?

You can visualize a horizontal shift by imagining a graph or object being moved along a ruler or number line. The distance and direction it moves will determine the amount and direction of the horizontal shift.