Amateur author seeking help on attacking ozone layer

In summary, the UV beam from the dish would slowly damage the sky over time, allowing high intensity sunlight to damage all life in the city.
beethelzarb
Hi, I'm looking for plausible fiction based content regarding environmental destruction. Sort of future UV wars or something.
So here goes.
Would appreciate any ideas or feedback on what I've come up with so far.
Several dissidents build 12ft mirrored parabolic dishes which shine narrow focussed hi-intensity (50,000 watt+, ~285nm) UV beams skyward. Computer controlled, the beams slowly flood the sky 24/7 above the city with a beam intended to convert much of the ozone layer O^3 to O^2, where the skyward beam results in a ~15Watt intensity on the upper stratosphere (O^3), compared to the natural sunlight UV of ~1Watt. Thus overall UV protection is greatly reduced over time, allowing hi-intensity uv radiation to damage all life in the city.

I have just started to study atmospheric physics/chemistry for writing, and don't know whether the above is even slightly realistic. So if possible, can you guys try to guide me towards more plausible story content than I have so far.

Will be back everyday to check for comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect that you need a huge amount of power for a small effect.

The people in the city can install glass roofs, use umbrellas and so on as shield against UV. Or they just send some missiles to the people with the huge UV sources. It's not like they would be difficult to detect.

Here are some problems I see with this evil scheme:
1) If it takes a long time to build up the effect, I am guessing that high level winds would move the irradiated ozone layer to a different longitude. This would then require zapping the whole ozone layer to effect a single city, or at least a latitudinal band.
2) If it is not blowing around up there (or the effect of the zapping is quick), you would still have to zap all the sky, in the path of the Sun (before or when it gets there), to maximize UV at the surface.
3) Lasers are smaller and would be a more easily hidden source of UV. Why not use them?

What is the ozone layer and why is it important?

The ozone layer is a protective layer of gas in the Earth's stratosphere that absorbs harmful ultraviolet radiation from the sun. It is important because it protects us from the sun's harmful radiation, which can cause skin cancer, eye damage, and harm to plants and animals.

How is the ozone layer being attacked?

The ozone layer is being attacked by the release of ozone-depleting substances, such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), which were commonly used in refrigerants, aerosol sprays, and foam products. These substances break down in the stratosphere and release chlorine and bromine atoms, which then destroy ozone molecules.

What are the consequences of a damaged ozone layer?

A damaged ozone layer can lead to increased amounts of harmful UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface, which can have negative effects on human health, ecosystems, and the environment. It can also lead to changes in weather patterns and a decrease in crop yields.

What are some ways to help prevent further damage to the ozone layer?

One way to help prevent further damage to the ozone layer is by reducing our use of ozone-depleting substances. This can be done by using alternative products and technologies that do not contain these substances. Additionally, individuals can also make small changes in their daily lives, such as properly disposing of old refrigerators and air conditioning units, to contribute to the protection of the ozone layer.

What are scientists doing to address the issue of a damaged ozone layer?

Scientists are actively researching and monitoring the ozone layer to better understand its behavior and the effects of ozone-depleting substances. They are also working on developing new technologies and solutions to reduce the use of these substances and protect the ozone layer. Additionally, international agreements, such as the Montreal Protocol, have been put in place to regulate the production and use of ozone-depleting substances.