An Impossible Solution: Solving the Function Graphing Problem in Calculus Class

• Thread starter JPBenowitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the speakers discussed the possibility of constructing a continuous function f such that it satisfies the given conditions, but does not have a point c in the interval (a,b) where its derivative is equal to 0. One speaker provided an example of such a function, while the other pointed out that showing one example does not prove the statement to be true for all possible functions. The conversation also briefly touched on the differentiability of the functions mentioned.
JPBenowitz
So, yesterday in class we were asked to try and solve the following problem:

Given a, b [itex]\in[/itex] R with a < b, draw the graph of an example of a continuous function f such that f: [a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, f(a) = f(b), and there does not exist c [itex]\in[/itex] (a, b) such that f'(c) = 0.

Now in class we arrived at the conclusion that there exists no such solution, however I beg to disagree.

Let's suppose that a = -1 and b = 1 which satisfies the inequality. Now for f(a) to = f(b) one function comes to mind, the associated power series:

f(x) = 1 + 2x + 4x2 + 8x3 + ... + 2nxn = [itex]\frac{1}{1-2x}[/itex]

Such that, f2(1) = 1 and f2(-1) = 1 therefore, f(a) = f(b).

= [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{1-2x}[/itex])2

= ([itex]\frac{-4}{2x - 1}[/itex])3

Therefore, there does not exist f'(c) = 0

If we take the limit as x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] then f'(x) = 0 however there is no particular element c of (a, b) s.t. f'(c) = 0.

My question is am I right? If not where did I go horribly wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Going too fast ?
Differentiation that power series and see that at x=0
f ' (x) = 0

paulfr said:
Going too fast ?
Differentiation that power series and see that at x=0
f ' (x) = 0

I accidently posted before I finished lol.

This statement is indeed true.

I'm not sure why you're taking a limit as x goes to infinity. In any case, if you think the statement is wrong, you need to show there exists a c in (a,b) such that f'(c) = 0 for every f(x). Unfortunately, showing one example doesn't prove anything.

JPBenowitz said:
Given a, b [itex]\in[/itex] R with a < b, draw the graph of an example of a continuous function f such that f: [a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, f(a) = f(b), and there does not exist c [itex]\in[/itex] (a, b) such that f'(c) = 0.

Consider the example f(x) = |x| and a = -1, b = 1. Does this satisfy the hypothesis? Is the conclusion satisfied?

gb7nash said:
This statement is indeed true.

I'm not sure why you're taking a limit as x goes to infinity. In any case, if you think the statement is wrong, you need to show there exists a c in (a,b) such that f'(c) = 0 for every f(x). Unfortunately, showing one example doesn't prove anything.

Consider the example f(x) = |x| and a = -1, b = 1. Does this satisfy the hypothesis? Is the conclusion satisfied?

Which statement is true? That there is no solution? Or that there is a solution?

This statement:

JPBenowitz said:

It is possible to construct an example of a continuous function f such that there does not exist a c [itex]\in[/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c) = 0. Consider f(x) = |x|.

gb7nash said:
This statement:

It is possible to construct an example of a continuous function f such that there does not exist a c [itex]\in[/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c) = 0. Consider f(x) = |x|.

f(x) is discontinuous at 0.

JPBenowitz said:
f(x) is discontinuous at 0.

f(x) = |x| is continuous at x=0. However, it isn't differentiable at x=0.

gb7nash said:
f(x) = |x| is continuous at x=0. However, it isn't differentiable at x=0.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

In your OP, f(x) = 1/(1-2x) is not continuous (in fact it is not even defined) when x = 1/2.

Related to An Impossible Solution: Solving the Function Graphing Problem in Calculus Class

1. What is "An Impossible Solution" about?

"An Impossible Solution" is a fictional story about a group of scientists who discover a way to travel back in time and attempt to change the course of history.

2. How did the scientists come up with the idea for time travel in "An Impossible Solution"?

The scientists in the story were working on a project involving quantum mechanics and stumbled upon a way to manipulate time using their research.

3. Is there a specific reason why the scientists want to change history in "An Impossible Solution"?

Yes, the scientists believe that by altering events in the past, they can create a better future for humanity.

4. Are there any consequences to the scientists' actions in "An Impossible Solution"?

Yes, their actions in the past have unexpected and dangerous consequences that threaten their present and future.

5. Is "An Impossible Solution" scientifically accurate?

The story is based on scientific principles and theories, but as it is a work of fiction, some elements may not be entirely scientifically accurate.