Analytic Solution to ##x^{\alpha} +x =1##?

In summary: That will require ##x>1##. And I assume you want to solve for ##x##, not for...?Yes, I was hoping to find a solution for ##x## in terms of ##\alpha##.Yes, I was hoping to find a solution for ##x## in terms of ##\alpha##.
bob012345
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is there an analytic solution to the simple equation ##x^{\alpha} +x =1## where ##\alpha## is a constant ?
Is there an analytic solution to the simple equation ##x^{\alpha} +x =1##? I can get to a solution by iteration or by graphical methods but I wish to find a closed form exact solution. ##\alpha## is a constant. I tried to put it into a form where I could use the quadratic formula but that didn't work i.e something like ##c^{2\beta} + c^{\beta} =1##. Thanks.

Likes Delta2
Mathematics news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
Summary: Is there an analytic solution to the simple equation ##x^{\alpha} +x =1## where ##\alpha## is a constant ?

Is there an analytic solution to the simple equation ##x^{\alpha} +x =1##? I can get to a solution by iteration or by graphical methods but I wish to find a closed form exact solution. ##\alpha## is a constant. I tried to put it into a form where I could use the quadratic formula but that didn't work i.e something like ##c^{2\beta} + c^{\beta} =1##. Thanks.
There is generally no analytic solution. E.g. consider the case ##\alpha=7## then ##x^7+x-1=0## cannot be solved analytically.

Likes dextercioby, Delta2 and bob012345
fresh_42 said:
There is generally no analytic solution. E.g. consider the case ##\alpha=7## then ##x^7+x-1=0## cannot be solved analytically.
Thanks. I suppose it is the same if ##\alpha## is less than 2 with the obvious exceptions of 0, and 1? My interest in this question is non-integer exponents.

bob012345 said:
Thanks. I suppose it is the same if ##\alpha## is less than 2 with the obvious exceptions of 0, 1 and 2?
There is a theorem that says that there are no solutions with radicals (##\sqrt[n]{.}##) for arbitrary integer polynomials of degree ##5## or higher. We can solve it for ## \alpha \in \{0,1,2,3,4\}## by roots. So ##\alpha \geq 5## has good chances of not being solvable. And what about non-integer values?

fresh_42 said:
There is a theorem that says that there are no solutions with radicals (##\sqrt[n]{.}##) for arbitrary integer polynomials of degree ##5## or higher. We can solve it for ## \alpha \in \{0,1,2,3,4\}## by roots. So ##\alpha \geq 5## has good chances of not being solvable. And what about non-integer values?
Well, turning the problem around it is easy to solve for ##\alpha## given any ##x##.

$$\large x^{\alpha} + x=1$$

$$ \alpha log(x) = log (1-x)$$

$$\alpha = \large \frac{log(1-x)}{log(x)}$$

I just thought one might be able to transform the equation around to solve for ##x## given an ##\alpha## for this specific equation form by some kind of substitution.

Likes Delta2
bob012345 said:
Well, turning the problem around it is easy to solve for ##\alpha## given any ##x##.

I just thought one might be able to transform the equation around to solve for ##x## given an ##\alpha## for this specific equation form.
If you put it that way, we are given an equation with only one occurrence of the variable, so that we only have ##c_{1}^\alpha = c_{2}## which is basically the definition of the logarithm.

The problem with ##x^\alpha +x-1=0## when we ask for ##x## is, that we have a mixture of some arbitrary multiplication and a few simple additions. Whenever multiplication and addition meet, things get complicated. There is actually only one single law that combines them:
$$
a\cdot (b+c) = a\cdot b + a \cdot c
$$
That's it. It is all we have. And every combination of the two that differs from the distributive law is a complex problem, in our case literally complex.

Likes Delta2 and bob012345
All alpha values where I see a solution:

##\alpha \in \{-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4\}## as we get a solvable polynomial, multiply by powers of x for negative ##\alpha##.
##\alpha \in \{-\frac 1 3, -\frac 1 2, \frac 1 2, \frac 1 3, \frac 1 4\}## as we get a solvable polynomial in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th root of x.
For ##\alpha=5+6z## for integer z, ##e^{\pm \pi i/3}## is a solution. There is no general closed solution for polynomials of that degree, but some special cases can still have closed solutions.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, bob012345 and Delta2
Where this was all coming from is from a similar equation used to derive it
$$\large a^y + b^y =1$$ where ##a,b## are constants and I let ##\large x= b^y## then we can write ##\large a^y = b^{\alpha y} = (b^y)^{\alpha} = x^{\alpha}## giving $$\large x^{\alpha} + x=1$$

I suppose the first form is just as problematic.

bob012345 said:
I suppose the first form is just as problematic.
Yes. Can you at least say where ##a,b,y## are taken from?

fresh_42 said:
Yes. Can you at least say where ##a,b,y## are taken from?
Yes, there was a problem but in its original form used ##x## which goes as $$16^x + 20^x =25^x$$ solve for ##x##. I divided both sides by ##25^x##.

I solved that exactly analytically but then wanted to generalize the coefficients a bit.

Last edited:
\begin{align*}
16^x+20^x=25^x &\Longleftrightarrow (5^x-4^x)(5^x+4^x)=4^x\cdot 5^x \\
&\Longleftrightarrow \left(\left(\dfrac{1}{4}\right)^x-\left(\dfrac{1}{5}\right)^x\right)
\left(\left(\dfrac{1}{4}\right)^x+\left(\dfrac{1}{5}\right)^x\right) =1\\
&\Longleftrightarrow \left(\dfrac{1}{4^x}\right)^2+1^2=\left(\dfrac{1}{5^x}\right)^2
\end{align*}
is a very specific form: ##(a^x)^2+1^2=(b^x)^2.## Now we have a quadratic equation and we can e.g. look for Pythagorean triples that are all known.

As a rule of thumb, you can say that, whenever there are symmetries, then there is a good chance to solve a system.

Likes dextercioby and bob012345
fresh_42 said:
Is that no Real solutions? Is ##\alpha## Real? How about Complex ones? Seems like something like the W function may work?

WWGD said:
Is that no Real solutions? How about Complex ones? Seems like something like the W function may work?
This is irrelevant. ##p(x)\in \mathbb{Z}[x]## is the restriction.

fresh_42 said:
This is irrelevant. ##p(x)\in \mathbb{Z}[x]## is the restriction.
But ##Z[x]## refers to polynomials, doesn't it? So we assume ##\alpha \in \mathbb Z##?

bob012345 said:

I just thought one might be able to transform the equation around to solve for ##x## given an ##\alpha## for this specific equation form by some kind of substitution.
That will require ##x>1##. And I assume you want to solve for ##x##, not for ##\alpha##.

You mean for the problem here? No, we didn't assume anything. Integers are simply a domain we know something about.

fresh_42 said:
\begin{align*}
16^x+20^x=25^x &\Longleftrightarrow (5^x-4^x)(5^x+4^x)=4^x\cdot 5^x \\
&\Longleftrightarrow \left(\left(\dfrac{1}{4}\right)^x-\left(\dfrac{1}{5}\right)^x\right)
\left(\left(\dfrac{1}{4}\right)^x+\left(\dfrac{1}{5}\right)^x\right) =1\\
&\Longleftrightarrow \left(\dfrac{1}{4^x}\right)^2+1^2=\left(\dfrac{1}{5^x}\right)^2
\end{align*}
is a very specific form: ##(a^x)^2+1^2=(b^x)^2.## Now we have a quadratic equation and we can e.g. look for Pythagorean triples that are all known.

As a rule of thumb, you can say that, whenever there are symmetries, then there is a good chance to solve a system.
Yes, this was a special case since it could be reduced to a quadratic because of the specific values of the coefficients. BTW, the way I did it was divide by the RHS, combine to get

$$(16/25)^x + (20/25)^x =1$$ which is

$$(0.64)^x + (0.8)^x =1$$

which is $$(0.8^x)^2 + (0.8)^x =1$$ Then substituted ## z=0.8^x##

$$z^2 + z =1$$ which gives ##z= \frac{-1±5^{1/2}}{2}##

and ## x=\large \frac{log(z)}{log(0.8)}##Then, I wanted to see if I changed the 16 to say, 18, if it had an analytic solution. The answer is no in general.

$$18^x+20^x=25^x$$

Likes fresh_42
BTW, ##x= -∞## might work too for ##a^x + b^x = c^x##.

bob012345 said:
As does ##x=+\infty ## but that should only be used if we explicitly state that hyperreal numbers are allowed. In any other, i.e. standard case, there is no number ##\pm \infty ## and we cannot pretend there was.

bob012345 said:
In the sense that for ##a, b, c > 1##:$$\lim_{x \to -\infty} (a^x + b^x) = \lim_{x \to -\infty} (c^x) = 0$$

Likes bob012345

1. What is an analytic solution?

An analytic solution is a mathematical expression or equation that can be solved using known mathematical operations and functions. It involves finding the exact value or values of the variables in the equation.

2. How do you solve for x in the equation ##x^{\alpha} +x =1##?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use logarithms to isolate the variable. First, take the logarithm of both sides of the equation: ##\log(x^{\alpha} +x) = \log(1)##. Then, use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for x.

3. What is the significance of the exponent ##\alpha## in the equation ##x^{\alpha} +x =1##?

The exponent ##\alpha## represents the degree or power of the variable x in the equation. It can be any real number, including fractions or decimals. The value of ##\alpha## will affect the shape and behavior of the graph of the equation.

4. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the value of ##\alpha##, this equation can have multiple solutions. For example, if ##\alpha## is a positive even number, the equation will have two solutions. If ##\alpha## is a negative odd number, the equation will have one solution. If ##\alpha## is a negative even number, the equation will have no real solutions.

5. How can the analytic solution to ##x^{\alpha} +x =1## be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be used to model various real-world scenarios, such as population growth, compound interest, and chemical reactions. The analytic solution can help determine the exact value of a variable in these situations, providing valuable information for analysis and decision-making.