Analytical mechanics for dummies ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of analytical mechanics and the concerns of the individual about their upcoming course. They mention previous struggles with lagrangian mechanics and ask for recommendations on books to help understand the subject better. They also question the quality of one of the recommended texts.
Lavabug
Analytical mechanics "for dummies"?

I'm starting my 2nd year course in analytical mechanics tomorrow and am quite worried that I'll get thrown off very early on, as I didn't fully grasp all of the concepts in lagrangian mechanics in my previous mechanics course (only studied up to lagrangian equations of motion for systems in 3D, along with waves, fluid dynamics/statics and SR).

The recommended texts for the course are Goldstein's (tried it before in my first mech course and it went way over my head) and Landau's (I heard its along the same vein). Cambridge Press' text is also a recommended text, is it any good?

I have Boas' math methods book on the way which I think should help me filling in my gap: calculus of variations, but is there another easier to digest book on analytical mechanics? The topics covered will be lagrange multipliers, rigid body kinetics, rigid body dynamics, small oscillations and canonical equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavabug said:
Cambridge Press' text is also a recommended text, is it any good?
Of course it's good otherwise it would not have been published by Cambridge University Press. You should be asking "Is it good for me?" Only you can answer that question. Find a copy, browse through and figure out if you are compatible with it.

1. What is analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical equations and principles to study the motion and forces of physical systems. It aims to provide a more precise and systematic understanding of classical mechanics.

2. Who is analytical mechanics for?

Analytical mechanics is primarily for scientists and engineers who need to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems. However, it can also be useful for anyone interested in understanding the fundamental principles that govern motion and forces in the world around us.

3. What are the key concepts in analytical mechanics?

The key concepts in analytical mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, the principle of conservation of energy, and the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms. These concepts provide a framework for understanding the motion and forces of physical systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and robotics. Some specific examples include designing spacecraft trajectories, analyzing the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and developing control systems for robots.

5. Is analytical mechanics difficult to learn?

Like any subject, the difficulty of learning analytical mechanics will vary from person to person. However, it does require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus and differential equations. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and apply the principles of analytical mechanics.