Analyzing the Truth of Jack Winning a Contest

• Thread starter EternusVia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contest
In summary, given the statement that "If Jack is younger than his father, then Jack will not lose the contest," and the truth that Jack is always younger than his father, the logical implication is that Jack will not lose the contest. However, this implication does not necessarily indicate causation and may not be relevant to the actual outcome of the contest.
EternusVia

Homework Statement

Suppose someone says to you that the following statement is true: “If
Jack is younger than his father, then Jack will not lose the contest.” Did Jack
win the contest? Why or why not? Explain.

Homework Equations

Truth table from textbook:

A--------B--------A implies B
True----True-------True
True----False------False
False---True-------True
False---False------True

The Attempt at a Solution

A = Jack is younger than his father.
B = Jack will not lose the contest = Jack will win the contest (assuming you can't draw)

A is true because one is ALWAYS younger than his/her father.
B is true because A is true.

Therefore A -> B is also true and Jack did win the contest.

This question is probably really easy, but I was wondering if anyone could validate my answer? I'm really new to proofs and this kind of logical thought.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:

Homework Statement

Suppose someone says to you that the following statement is true: “If
Jack is younger than his father, then Jack will not lose the contest.” Did Jack
win the contest? Why or why not? Explain.

Homework Equations

Truth table from textbook:

A--------B--------A implies B
True----True-------True
True----False------False
False---True-------True
False---False------True

The Attempt at a Solution

A = Jack is younger than his father.
B = Jack will not lose the contest = Jack will win the contest (assuming you can't draw)

A is true because one is ALWAYS younger than his/her father.
B is true because A is true.

Therefore A -> B is also true and Jack did win the contest.

This question is probably really easy, but I was wondering if anyone could validate my answer? I'm really new to proofs and this kind of logical thought.

Thanks!

'Implication' can be tricky, and this is one such case. Obviously, Jack can win the contest or he can lose the contest, so the implication is not really making a predictive statement. In fact, implications of the form A -> B can connect two totally unrelated statements or concepts, such as "If my eyes are blue then Kansas produced a lot of corn last year".

All you can say is that if Jack did win the contest the implication was true (but irrelevant), and if he lost the contest the implication was false (but, again, irrelevant). The point is that the implication is, itself, a logical statement and can thus be true or false.

Implication need not signal causation; for example (after the late E.T. Jaynes): "If it is raining at 10:00 then there were clouds at 9:59." This implication is true, but the rain at 10:00 did not "cause" the clouds at 9:59.

Oh, this is a nice one. If the 'someone' speaks the truth, then the following is true:
B. If Jack is younger than his father, then Jack will not lose the contest.

Furthermore the following is always true (don't ask me why...)
A. Jack is younger than his father.

So A is true; if A is true, then Jack will not lose the contest. Conclusion: Jack will not lose the contest.

No more, no less. You already exclude a draw. You don't mention the case where the contest hasn't taken place yet.

What on Earth do you mean with EternusVia ? Via is female, so is Vita.

BvU said:
Oh, this is a nice one. If the 'someone' speaks the truth, then the following is true:
B. If Jack is younger than his father, then Jack will not lose the contest.

Furthermore the following is always true (don't ask me why...)
A. Jack is younger than his father.

So A is true; if A is true, then Jack will not lose the contest. Conclusion: Jack will not lose the contest.

No more, no less. You already exclude a draw. You don't mention the case where the contest hasn't taken place yet.

What on Earth do you mean with EternusVia ? Via is female, so is Vita.

Thanks for the help. And yes, I am aware of the grammatical shortcomings of my username. I have little to no knowledge of Latin and made up the name a few years ago XD

Ray Vickson said:
'Implication' can be tricky, and this is one such case. Obviously, Jack can win the contest or he can lose the contest, so the implication is not really making a predictive statement. In fact, implications of the form A -> B can connect two totally unrelated statements or concepts, such as "If my eyes are blue then Kansas produced a lot of corn last year".

All you can say is that if Jack did win the contest the implication was true (but irrelevant), and if he lost the contest the implication was false (but, again, irrelevant). The point is that the implication is, itself, a logical statement and can thus be true or false.

Implication need not signal causation; for example (after the late E.T. Jaynes): "If it is raining at 10:00 then there were clouds at 9:59." This implication is true, but the rain at 10:00 did not "cause" the clouds at 9:59.

Good points. Thank you!

1. Is there any evidence to support Jack's claim of winning the contest?

Yes, there is evidence to support Jack's claim. He has a certificate and a trophy from the contest organizers that serves as proof of his win.

2. Were there any other participants in the contest and how did Jack's entry compare to theirs?

Yes, there were other participants in the contest. Jack's entry was judged to be the best among all the entries, which is why he was declared the winner.

3. Was there any bias or favoritism involved in Jack winning the contest?

No, there was no bias or favoritism involved in Jack winning the contest. The judges were impartial and based their decision solely on the quality of the entries.

4. How was the winner chosen and what criteria were used in the judging process?

The winner was chosen by a panel of judges who evaluated the entries based on predetermined criteria such as creativity, originality, and adherence to the contest theme.

5. Is there any possibility that Jack may have cheated or manipulated his way to win the contest?

There is no evidence to suggest that Jack cheated or manipulated his way to win the contest. The organizers have strict rules in place to ensure fair and honest competition.