And The Actual Human Response To Keanu Reeve's Klaatu Would Be....

In summary, the humans release all of their engineered criticality devices and slag the planet, but the aliens were exterminating humanity anyways, so it doesn't matter.
BigDon
A six way, all out release of humanity's entire stockpile of "engineered criticality devices" and slag the planet.

The damned aliens were exterminating humanity anyway, why should they get what they want, while we go black?

I'd bet money neither the movie's writers nor the extraterrestrials thought of that one.

As that wise man Stan Lee once said, "Humans are unruly, therefore cannot be ruled."

Physics news on Phys.org
Many great Sci fi stories never consider the more psychopathic responses that are inconceivable yet possible to the ordinary mind.

The basic premise humanity’s hero is to come out alive with minimal loss of life. Its also important to save the dog. There is also a character who will sacrifice his/her life for the group. Anything else makes a story less readable or watchable.

Unfortunately:

- nanites don't gather in cities, so wiping them out would be virtually impossible with our weapons
- as von Neumann devices, only a single one need survive to carry on the species
- they are immune to societal collapse - they don't need any infrastructure to thrive and rebuild
- they can eat the basic elements, so even a charred planet would not stop them
- they reproduce geometrically, so the whole disaster would only set them back a few days

Sorry.

"The thing about aliens is, they're alien."
— Gregory Benford

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Don't you mean Michael Rennie? Oh that's right they did a bad remake...I do so love the original. It is so perfectly black and white.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes jedishrfu
Klatu Barada Nikto!

My favorite scene was when Klatu solves the differential equations for Prof Barnard. I saw it on TV one evening, while studying for my DE course and recognized the technique shown.

Of course, I liked the initial landing, and when Klatu trades the boy for some money with his diamonds and the boy says okay, but my mom doesn’t like it if I cheat people, and when Klatu tells the boy about the spaceship’s propulsion...

I guess I really liked the Michael Ronnie movie.

• Love
Likes hutchphd

1. What is the premise of "And The Actual Human Response To Keanu Reeve's Klaatu Would Be...."?

The premise of this film is that an alien named Klaatu (played by Keanu Reeves) comes to Earth and must decide whether humanity is worth saving or not.

2. Is this movie based on a true story?

No, this movie is a fictional story based on the 1951 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

3. How does Keanu Reeves' character, Klaatu, interact with humans in the film?

Klaatu initially appears as a humanoid alien and tries to communicate with humans peacefully. However, when met with hostility, he uses his advanced technology to defend himself.

4. What is the message or theme of "And The Actual Human Response To Keanu Reeve's Klaatu Would Be...."?

The film explores themes of humanity's destructive nature and the consequences of our actions on the planet. It also raises questions about our ability to change and evolve as a species.

5. Are there any notable scientific elements in the film?

Yes, the film incorporates scientific ideas such as the concept of interstellar travel and advanced technology, as well as themes of environmentalism and the search for extraterrestrial life.