Angle of elevation question

• MHB
  • Thread starter ai93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the angle of elevation of the flagpole is 30 degrees, while the angle of elevation of the bottom of the flagpole is 25 degrees. The flagpole is approximately 13.33 meters long.
ai93
A vertical flagpole is fixed at the top of a vertical wall. From a point which is 120m measured horizontally from the base of the wall the angle of elevation to the top of the flagpole is 30 degrees, and the angle of elevation to the bottom of the flagpole is 25 degrees.

a) Draw a clearly labelled diagram to represent this situation

b) Calculate the length of the flagpole correct to 2 dp

View attachment 3811

I have attempted to draw the diagram, and hopefully figured the height out. Although I could be completely wrong!

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 54
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would draw the diagram as follows:

View attachment 3812

From this, we see:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(25^{\circ}\right)=\frac{w}{120}\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(30^{\circ}\right)=\frac{w+h}{120}\tag{2}\)

Now, can you use (1) to eliminate $w$ in (2)?

Attachments

• wallandflag.png
    wallandflag.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 54
MarkFL said:
I would draw the diagram as follows:

View attachment 3812

From this, we see:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(30^{\circ}\right)=\frac{w+h}{120}\tag{2}\)

Now, can you use (1) to eliminate $w$ in (2)?

\(\displaystyle w=tan(25)x120=55.95\)

\(\displaystyle tan(30)=\frac{55.95+h}{120}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore tan(30) \cdot 120 = 55.95+h\)

\(\displaystyle 69.28+55.95+h\)

\(\displaystyle 69.28-55.95=h\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore h=13.33\)

I think that's right

- - - Updated - - -

If I am given a similar question with two angles. The biggest angle would obviously be the outer angle?

I would rewrite (2) as:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(30^{\circ}\right)=\frac{w}{120}+\frac{h}{120}\)

Then use (1) to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(30^{\circ}\right)=\tan\left(25^{\circ}\right)+\frac{h}{120}\)

And then solving for $h$, we get (in meters):

\(\displaystyle h=120\left(\tan\left(30^{\circ}\right)-\tan\left(25^{\circ}\right)\right)\approx13.33\)

Your answer is correct, however, it is best to obtain the exact value first, and then only at the very end do your rounding. Sometimes intermediary rounding can cause your end result to be inaccurate.

Regarding which angle is larger, we know that if two rays have the same terminus, but one passes through a higher point over the same horizontal distance, then its angle of elevation must be greater. :D

a) The diagram would look like this:

30°
/|
/ |
/ |h
/ |
/ |
/ |
/ |
/ |
/ |
/_________|
120m

b) To calculate the length of the flagpole, we can use the trigonometric ratio tangent. We know that the tangent of an angle is equal to the opposite side divided by the adjacent side. In this case, the tangent of 30 degrees is equal to the height of the flagpole (opposite side) divided by 120m (adjacent side). So we can set up the equation:

tan(30°) = h/120m

To solve for h, we can multiply both sides by 120m:

120m * tan(30°) = h

Using a calculator, we get:

120m * 0.5774 = h

So the height of the flagpole is approximately 69.29m. Therefore, the length of the flagpole is 69.29m + 120m = 189.29m, rounded to 2 decimal places.

1. What is the angle of elevation?

The angle of elevation refers to the angle between the horizontal line of sight and an object located above the horizontal line. It is measured in degrees and is used to determine the height or distance of an object.

2. How is the angle of elevation calculated?

The angle of elevation can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. By knowing the length of the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle, the angle of elevation can be determined using the inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between angle of elevation and angle of depression?

The angle of elevation and angle of depression are both measured from the horizontal line, but the angle of elevation is measured above the horizontal line while the angle of depression is measured below the horizontal line. They are used in different situations, with the angle of elevation used for objects above the horizontal line and the angle of depression used for objects below the horizontal line.

4. Why is the angle of elevation important?

The angle of elevation is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to determine the height, distance, and position of objects and is essential in calculating trajectories, angles of incline, and line of sight.

5. What are some real-life examples of using the angle of elevation?

The angle of elevation is used in a variety of real-life scenarios, such as determining the height of buildings or trees, calculating the distance of a plane or bird in flight, and measuring the incline of a ramp or hill. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the trajectory of a baseball or golf ball.