Angular Acceleration Differential

In summary, the speakers are discussing the problem of finding the angular acceleration and velocity of opening a car hood. They mention using sum of torques and differential equations to solve the problem, but are having difficulty due to the variable torque and the use of a torsion spring. One speaker suggests using an elliptic integral method and another suggests using conservation of energy to find the final velocity. The difficulties in solving the problem are also mentioned. The speakers also discuss the possibility of finding the instantaneous acceleration using kinematics or integrating over velocity at previous points. They also mention difficulty with pulling up a diagram of the problem.
godfather
HI,

I would appreciate if someone could provide me some suggestions. I am trying to figure out angular acceleration and angular velocity of opening a car hood. I think I have the sum of the torques correct however I am having a tough time with speed because the torque is not contant. I do not think I can use the standard equations and I am a little rusty of my differential equations.

The push force is assumed constant but the main issue is that I am also using a torsion spring that decreased with the opening of the hood. I am not sure how to introduce this into the differential A) over the entire angle span B) or at each discrete angle.

Integrating Velocity is straight forward but integrating the sum of the torques with respect to angle is giving me the problem. The force from the CG is dependant on the angle where the handle force and spring is not.

Once, I have the speed and acceleration the time should fall out.

Maybe I am totally off base and there is an easier solution. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Godfather

Attachments

• Hood Speed Problem.pdf
    270.8 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help form anyone? Even if you just help on the differential equation?

Thanks

Because of the Cos(phi) in your differential equation, you'll have an elliptic integral as a solution. Look up high-angle solutions to period of a pendulum for a method of solving such an equation. Other terms in the equation are linear, so you should be able to modify the pendulum solution to incorporate these. Good luck. This isn't a simple problem.

thanks for the feedback. Do you think this will also accommodate a variable rate spring spread out linearly over the full angular span?

Elliptic integral method? It should.

Could you use conservation of energy to find the final velocity? If the change in height of the CG of the hood is known, then it plus the K.E. of the hood should be equal to the change in energy of the coil spring. There is an equation for a coil spring that is the equivalent to 1/2 Kx^2, where theta replaces x, and you have a different type of constant, but the concepts are the same.

If you want just the final velocity, yes. But if you want to know how long it takes to get to that point, you have to integrate over velocity. That's exactly how you solve the problem. The difficulty is in evaluating an integral. It cannot be done algebraically.

Hi again,

I can't pull up the diagram of the car hood problem. It sounds like at least the for the work being done by the force on the handle you would need to integrate to make an algebraic expression for the work done, but the conservation of energy can give you an answer for the speed of the hood at any point, not just for the final velocity. Most of the terms should be algebraic functions of the angle of the hood.
The thing that you won't get from COE is the instantaneous acceleration at any time, so maybe you are stuck doing kinematics.

Marc

At any point in space, yes. But not at any point in time. In order to know angular velocity as function of time, you must integrate over velocity at previous points.

would you guys mind showing the equations i am stumped

Sorry about the earlier reply K^2, I sometimes don't read the posts fully. Yes, you would need to generate a formaula, then integrate to get the time.

I can't pull up the diagram. There is some issue with my work computer opening it.
Is there a word version that could be posted?

Marc

Related to Angular Acceleration Differential

What is Angular Acceleration Differential?

Angular Acceleration Differential is a measurement of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is Angular Acceleration Differential calculated?

Angular Acceleration Differential is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is typically represented by the symbol alpha (α) and has units of radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

What is the difference between Angular Acceleration Differential and Angular Acceleration?

Angular Acceleration Differential is a measure of how an object's angular velocity changes over time, while Angular Acceleration is a measure of how an object's angular velocity changes at a specific moment in time. In other words, Angular Acceleration Differential is a rate of change, while Angular Acceleration is a specific value at a specific time.

What factors affect Angular Acceleration Differential?

The two main factors that affect Angular Acceleration Differential are the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the force applied and the further the distance from the axis of rotation, the greater the Angular Acceleration Differential will be.

How is Angular Acceleration Differential used in real-world applications?

Angular Acceleration Differential is used in many real-world applications, such as analyzing the motion of rotating objects in machines and vehicles, determining the stability of structures, and studying the dynamics of celestial bodies. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the rotational motion of sports objects like golf clubs and baseball bats.