How Does the Book's Formula for Angular Momentum Differ from Mine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular momentum for a spinning disc. The formula for angular momentum is given as L = Ixωx + Iyωy + Izωz, with an additional term Ls sinθy in a book. The question is raised as to why this additional term is not present in the initial calculation. Further details and clarifications are requested regarding the variables involved in the calculation.
Kashmir
A disc initially has angular velocities as shown
IMG_20210707_220620.JPG

It's angular momentum along the y-axis initially is ##L_s##
I tried to find its angular momentum and ended up with this:##L=I_{x} \omega_{x}+I_{y} w_{y}+I_{z} z_{z}##The z component of angular momentum is thus ##L_{z}=I_{z} \omega_{z}##

However I found a similar situation in a book
IMG_20210707_223058.JPG
IMG_20210707_221438.JPG

that writes the components of angular momentum along x as ##L_{x}=I_{x x} \frac{d \theta_{x}}{d t}+L_{s} \sin \theta_{y}##

The book has an additional term ##L_{s} \sin \theta_{y}## for the angular momentum which I don't.

Why am I wrong ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is not completely clear. Perhaps the disc is initially spinning with an ## L_s ## and then given an additional rotation. Otherwise a magnetization of the disc could also make for an ## L_s ##, but in general ## L_s ## from any magnetization would be very small.

Are you asking for an expression for the angular momentum of a disk where the rotation axis is not perpendicular to the disk? Your drawing is not clear.

Are ##\omega_x, \omega_y## and ##\omega_z## the cartesian coordinates of ##\vec\omega##? How are ##I_x##, ##I_y## and ##I_z## defined? Can you describe your calculations?

1. What is angular momentum of a disc?

Angular momentum of a disc refers to the measure of the rotational motion of a disc around its axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and radius of the disc.

2. How is angular momentum of a disc calculated?

Angular momentum of a disc can be calculated by multiplying the disc's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (how fast it is rotating) and its radius.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a disc?

The angular momentum of a disc is affected by its mass, angular velocity, and radius. A larger mass or radius will result in a higher angular momentum, while a higher angular velocity will also increase the angular momentum.

4. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the angular momentum of a disc will not change unless there is an external force causing it to do so.

5. How is angular momentum of a disc used in real life?

Angular momentum of a disc is used in various applications, such as in gyroscopes, spinning tops, and even in sports like figure skating and ice hockey. It is also important in understanding the behavior of rotating bodies in space, such as planets and galaxies.