Angular Momentum of colliding balls

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling collisions between rigid balls and the challenges faced when trying to calculate angular momentum. The speaker mentions that inelastic collisions are easier to solve than those between elastic and inelastic, and that momentum is always conserved. They also suggest using conservation of momentum to solve the problem and provide a resource for calculating elastic collisions with friction. The possibility of using a coefficient of restitution for perpendicular motion and impulsive torques is also mentioned.
Aaron Barnard
I am currently trying to model collisions of rigid balls. I have successfully been able to calculate collisions that only deal with linear momentum, but have run into trouble when I want to calculate angular momentum (e.g. when ballA glances the top of ballB, both balls should start spinning a little). The balls have a coefficient of friction as well. Although the collisions are inelastic, in my model, all translational kinetic energy that is lost to friction is turned into rotational kinetic energy. Is there anyway to calculate the resultant angular and linear momentums of each ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't turn translational kinetic energy that is lost to friction into rotational kinetic energy. It's lost as heat.

I think collisions between near rigid balls (eg pool/snooker) are normally modeled as elastic collisions. In general it's much easier to solve problems involving elastic or totally inelastic collisions than something between the two. I've never actually tried to solve the latter (other than simple bouncing balls with a coefficient of restitution).

The thing to remember is that momentum (both linear and angular) is always conserved. It's also separately conserved so linear angular momentum isn't converted to angular momentum. Applying conservation of momentum is likely to be the way forward.

Googling can find an example of the maths for elastic collisions with friction. I've not read it all but it covers linear then angular momentum under the sub-heading "COLLISIONS"..

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/Classes/MATH198/townsend/math.html

Aaron Barnard said:
Is there anyway to calculate the resultant angular and linear momentums of each ball?
If you assume a coefficient of restitution for motion perpendicular to the contacting surfaces then you can calculate a perpendicular impulse for each collision. If you multiply by the coefficient of kinetic friction then the product can be interpreted as an upper bound on the amount of tangential impulse that could result.

All that remains is deciding whether the associated impulsive torques are enough to lock the balls together so that their spins are coordinated or are insufficient to do so.

Edit: I assume here an inelastic model for the tangential component. Unlike a vintage "superball" which can bounce tangentially as well as radially.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

How is angular momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision between two objects, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that the angular momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the angular momentum after the collision.

What factors affect the angular momentum of colliding balls?

The angular momentum of colliding balls is affected by the mass, velocity, and moment of inertia of each ball. The angle and direction of the collision also play a role in determining the resulting angular momentum.

Can angular momentum be transferred from one object to another in a collision?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred from one object to another in a collision. This transfer of momentum depends on the mass and velocity of the objects involved, as well as the angle and direction of the collision.

How is angular momentum related to rotational kinetic energy?

Angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy are closely related. The rotational kinetic energy of an object is equal to half of its moment of inertia multiplied by the square of its angular velocity. This means that an increase in angular momentum also results in an increase in rotational kinetic energy.