Angular speed ratio and gear teeth ratio

In summary, Newton's third law is not always valid when dealing with torque because you are comparing apples to oranges.
kidsasd987
http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/mech226/gearsys/gearaccel.htm

Hello, I tried to derive n=N1/N2=omega2/omega1

with using T1=T2 but it is a wrong assumption.
I thought they should balance to satisfy Newton's 3rd law, but it is not.

Could you explain me why.

Physics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/mech226/gearsys/gearaccel.htm

Hello, I tried to derive n=N1/N2=omega2/omega1

with using T1=T2 but it is a wrong assumption.
I thought they should balance to satisfy Newton's 3rd law, but it is not.

Could you explain me why.
In the diagrams, it's not the torques which are equal but the energy of each gear,

E = T ⋅ ω,

such that Ta ⋅ ωa = Tb ⋅ ωb

Ta ≠ Tb because of the ratio between gears a and b.

SteamKing said:
equal
SteamKing said:
In the diagrams, it's not the torques which are equal but the energy of each gear,

E = T ⋅ ω,

such that Ta ⋅ ωa = Tb ⋅ ωb

Ta ≠ Tb because of the ratio between gears a and b.
Hello, yes. It makes sense that work of each gear must be equal.

But I thought T1=T2 because torque is somewhat symmetrical to force. It changes moment of inertia, and I thought at the contact point of two gears, T1 and T2 must be the same just because of intuition that force and torque (angular momentum and momentum) are symmetrical.

If I push a box with a force F, by distance D.
Ive done FD amount of work to the box and vice versa, the box has done -FD amount of work to me.
Therefore, Torque*theata is symmetrical to Force*Distance.

However, unlike Force, T1=/=T2
Could you tell me why Newton's 3rd law is not valid for toruqe?

Last edited:
kidsasd987 said:
Could you tell me why Newton's 3rd law is not valid for toruqe?
Newton's third law is valid for torque. But when you compute torque T1 based on one axis of rotation and torque T2 based on a different axis of rotation, that's comparing apples and oranges. If you want the torques from two third-law partner forces to be equal, the moment arms should be equal as well.

jbriggs444 said:
Newton's third law is valid for torque. But when you compute torque T1 based on one axis of rotation and torque T2 based on a different axis of rotation, that's comparing apples and oranges. If you want the torques from two third-law partner forces to be equal, the moment arms should be equal as well.

Thanks. I like your analogy of apples and oranges. I must go grab some.

What is angular speed ratio?

Angular speed ratio, also known as gear ratio, is the ratio of the rotational speed of the input gear to the rotational speed of the output gear in a gear system.

What is gear teeth ratio?

Gear teeth ratio refers to the number of teeth on the input gear to the number of teeth on the output gear in a gear system. It is also known as gear ratio or gear train ratio.

How is angular speed ratio calculated?

The angular speed ratio is calculated by dividing the number of revolutions of the input gear by the number of revolutions of the output gear.

What is the relationship between angular speed ratio and gear teeth ratio?

The angular speed ratio is directly proportional to the gear teeth ratio. This means that as the gear teeth ratio increases, the angular speed ratio also increases.

Why is knowledge of angular speed ratio and gear teeth ratio important?

Understanding these concepts is crucial in designing and analyzing gear systems. It allows engineers to determine the speed and torque output of a gear system and ensure that it meets the desired requirements for a specific application.