Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2

In summary, the animal's foraging radius is based on the following parameters: Q, C, d, k, and T. The equation to solve for r is QC + Qdt - T(Ema+Emc/2)/(2k+ (2Qd/v))
killbot2000

Homework Statement

I asked a similar question before relating to an animal's foraging radius. I think there was a typo but I'd like to show another example to see if I'm on the right track.

The parameter values are as follows:

Q= 5.2 × 106 J
C = 1.5kg
d= 0.055kg per hour
k= 2.0 Joules/m
Ema = 24 Watts
Emc = 42 Watts
T = 48 hours
v= 45km per hour
t= 12 hours

Homework Equations

r = [QC +Qdt - T(Ema+Emc/2)/(2k+ (2Qd/v))]

The Attempt at a Solution

(7800000 + 5.2*10^6*.055*12 - 172800 (45))/16.711111111111112

Physics news on Phys.org
killbot2000 said:

Homework Statement

I asked a similar question before relating to an animal's foraging radius. I think there was a typo but I'd like to show another example to see if I'm on the right track.

The parameter values are as follows:

Q= 5.2 × 106 J
C = 1.5kg
d= 0.055kg per hour
k= 2.0 Joules/m
Ema = 24 Watts
Emc = 42 Watts
T = 48 hours
v= 45km per hour
t= 12 hours

Homework Equations

r = [QC +Qdt - T(Ema+Emc/2)/(2k+ (2Qd/v))]

The Attempt at a Solution

(7800000 + 5.2*10^6*.055*12 - 172800 (45))/16.711111111111112

A minor point is that it would be good practice to group the first two numerator terms as
Q(C + DT). One less arithmetical operation to do and error risked. Similarly you could take out the factor 2 in the denominator

More important is you must pay constant attention to units. E.g.you do not give a unit for your result - metres or Km...

It seems there is something wrong about your physical units, maybe misquotation of formulae or units? The expression I just gave is JoulesXKg. The way you have written the equation they appear as such in the result which is nonsense - you must get a distance. The denominator has a similar anomaly and you would be adding things of incompatible dimensions - it is probably the second term that is wrong.

(I see I drew attention to the same units and dimensions issue in your previous thread.)

1. What is the purpose of the Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2?

The Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2 is used to calculate the distance an animal will travel to search for food in a given environment. This equation is a tool for ecologists and researchers to understand the foraging patterns and behaviors of animals.

2. How is the Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2 different from Part 1?

Part 1 of the Animal Foraging Radius Equation calculates the maximum radius an animal will travel to search for food. Part 2 takes into account environmental factors such as food availability and competition, and therefore provides a more accurate estimate of an animal's foraging radius.

3. What variables are included in the Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2?

The variables in Part 2 of the equation include food availability, competition, and the energetic cost of foraging. These factors are essential in determining the distance an animal will travel to find food.

4. Can the Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2 be applied to all animal species?

While the equation is a useful tool for understanding animal foraging behavior, it may not be applicable to all animal species. The equation is based on general assumptions and may not accurately reflect the foraging patterns of specific species.

5. How can the Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2 be used in conservation efforts?

The equation can be used to determine the minimum area of suitable habitat needed to support a population of animals based on their foraging needs. This information can be used in conservation planning and management to ensure that enough suitable habitat is preserved for the survival of the species.