How Much Will Mike Save by Age 60 With a Growing Salary and Fixed Savings Rate?

In summary, Mike Polanski, who is currently 30 years old, will have a salary of $40000 next year and expects it to increase at a steady rate of 5% per annum until his retirement at age 60. He saves 5% of his salary each year and invests these savings at an interest rate of 8%. By the time he reaches 60, he will have saved a total of $382,714.30. This is calculated by finding the present value of the growing annuity and compounding it at the end of 30 years.
issacnewton

Homework Statement

Mike Polanski is 30 years of age and his salary next year will be $40000. Mike forecasts that his salary will increase at a steady rate of 5% per annum until his retirement at age 60.

If Mike saves 5% of his salary each year and invests these savings at an interest rate of 8%, how much will he have saved by age 60 ?

Problem is from Principles of Corporate Finance (10 edition) by Brealey, Myers, Allen

Homework Equations

Annuity equation, Compound interest equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at a solution. Mike is saving 5% of his salary. At the end of first year, he will get $40000. So he will save $2000 at the end of the first year. Now let ##r=0.08## and let ##g = 0.05##. So in the first year, Mike saves $2000. Now in the second year, the salary becomes ##40000(1+g)##. Mike saves ##40000g = 2000## out of this. So in the second year, Mike will save $2000 again. So saving each of the 30 years is $2000. So we have a saving cash flow of $2000 for 30 years. I will now calculate the present value of this annuity and then use the compound interest formula to get the future value. Now 30 year annuity factor is $$\mbox{AF} = \frac{1}{r}\left[1-\frac{1}{(1+r)^{30}}\right] = 11.25778$$ So the present value of the savings cash flow is $$\mbox{PV} = 2000 \times \mbox{AF} = 22515.57$$ We want to find out how much is the savings when Mike is 60 years old. So we can now just use the compound interest formula to forward this value. So future value of this is $$\mbox{FV} = 22515.57 (1+r)^{30} = 226566.4$$ So Mike will save $226,566.40 when he is 60. But the correct answer given is $382,714.30. So I don't know where I have gone wrong. Please help.

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
So in the second year, Mike will save $2000 again. So saving each of the 30 years is $2000.
This is the problem. The amount saved is not the same every year. It grows at 5%pa.

Do you know how to calculate the final value of a geometrically increasing annuity?

In the second year, his salary would be ##40000(1+g)##. And 5% of this would be ##40000g(1+g)##. Right ? ##40000g(1+g) = 2100##. So yes, the savings are also increasing with rate ##g##. I think I made a mistake. I will recalculate and report again.

So first year, Mike will save ##40000g##. In the second year, salary will increase to ##40000(1+g)## and Mile will save ##40000g(1+g)##. Likewise, in the third year, Mile will save ##40000g(1+g)^2## and so on. So the saving cash flow is ##40000g##, ##40000g(1+g)##, ##40000g(1+g)^2 \cdots##. This is growing 30 year annuity. The annuity factor in this case is given by $$\mbox{AF} = \frac{1}{(r-g)}\left[ 1- \frac{(1+g)^{30}}{(1+r)^{30}}\right] = 19.01656$$ So the present value of this growing annuity is $$\mbox{PV} = 40000g \times \mbox{AF} = 38033.12635$$ Now to calculate the saving done at the end of 30 year period , we forward this value in time at year 30 using the compound interest formula. $$\mbox{FV} = \mbox{PV} (1+r)^{30} = 382714.30$$ So Mike will save ##$382714.30## at the age 60. And now my answer matches with the correct answer. So thanks Andrew

1. What is an annuity in finance?

An annuity in finance is a financial product that provides a regular stream of income at fixed intervals, typically for retirement purposes. This is achieved by making a series of payments or contributions into the annuity, which is then paid back to the annuitant (the person who owns the annuity) over a set period of time or for the rest of their life.

2. How does an annuity work?

An annuity works by the annuitant making either a lump-sum payment or regular contributions into the annuity, which is then invested by the annuity provider. The annuity provider will then make regular payments back to the annuitant, either for a set period of time or for the rest of their life. The amount of the payments depends on factors such as the annuitant's age, the type of annuity, and the interest rate at the time of purchase.

3. What are the different types of annuities?

There are several types of annuities, including fixed annuities, variable annuities, indexed annuities, and immediate annuities. Fixed annuities guarantee a fixed rate of return, while variable annuities allow for investment in different funds. Indexed annuities offer a return based on the performance of a specific market index, and immediate annuities provide payments immediately after purchase.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of annuities?

The main advantages of annuities are the guaranteed income stream and potential tax-deferred growth. Annuities can also provide a source of income in retirement for those who do not have a pension. However, annuities can also have high fees and may not keep up with inflation, reducing the purchasing power of the payments over time.

5. Is an annuity a good investment?

Whether an annuity is a good investment depends on an individual's financial goals and circumstances. Annuities can provide a guaranteed source of income in retirement, but they may not be the best option for everyone. It is important to carefully consider the fees, surrender charges, and potential tax implications before purchasing an annuity.