Ansys Fluent transient pipe flow

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the speaker is trying to simulate heat transfer between hot water at 400K and a copper pipe at 300K. They are having trouble initializing the temperature of the pipe, despite specifying the boundary conditions and using standard initialization methods. They are seeking help and advice on how to properly set the initial temperature for the copper pipe in order to accurately model the heat transfer process.
arehman1289
Hello,

I am doing a relatively simple problem, but i can't initialise it.

I have hot water at 400K moving inside a copper pipe at 300K. I would like to see the time it takes for the copper pipe's temperature to increase to 400. However I can't seem to initialise the temperature of the pipe, as in all the plots its temperature starts at 400 at t = 0s.

I simply have a hollow pipe filled with a fluid. In the boundry conditions of the pipe I thermally couple it with the fluid. In standard initialisation I tell the solver to compute from pipe wall at 300K, but no avail.

Can anyone please help. Its a basic problem but has taken me days now.

Thanks
Abdur

Engineering news on Phys.org
rahman

Hello Abdurrahman,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like you are trying to simulate the heat transfer between the hot water and the copper pipe. In order to accurately model this process, you will need to consider the initial conditions of both the hot water and the copper pipe.

For the hot water, the initial temperature of 400K can be set as the initial condition. However, for the copper pipe, you will need to specify the initial temperature as well. This can be done by adjusting the boundary conditions or by explicitly setting the initial temperature in the solver.

I would recommend checking the input parameters and boundary conditions to ensure that the initial temperature of the copper pipe is set correctly. It may also be helpful to consult with a heat transfer expert or refer to relevant literature on this type of problem.

I hope this helps and wish you success in solving your problem.

1. What is Ansys Fluent transient pipe flow?

Ansys Fluent transient pipe flow is a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software that allows for the simulation of fluid flow in a pipe over time. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific research to study the behavior of fluids in various scenarios.

2. How does Ansys Fluent handle transient pipe flow?

Ansys Fluent uses the unsteady Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (URANS) equations to model transient pipe flow. This involves solving a set of equations that describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy of the fluid over time. The software also allows for the incorporation of turbulence models and other physical phenomena to accurately simulate transient pipe flow.

3. What are the advantages of using Ansys Fluent for transient pipe flow simulations?

One of the main advantages of using Ansys Fluent is its ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, which are common in pipe flow simulations. It also offers a wide range of modeling and analysis tools, allowing for accurate and detailed results. Additionally, Ansys Fluent has a user-friendly interface and efficient computation algorithms, making it a popular choice for CFD simulations.

4. Can Ansys Fluent simulate both laminar and turbulent transient pipe flow?

Yes, Ansys Fluent has the capability to simulate both laminar and turbulent transient pipe flow. It offers various turbulence models, such as the k-epsilon and Reynolds stress models, which can accurately capture the behavior of turbulent flows. The software also allows for the specification of different flow regimes, making it suitable for both laminar and turbulent flows.

5. How can Ansys Fluent transient pipe flow simulations be validated?

Ansys Fluent simulations can be validated by comparing the results with experimental data or analytical solutions. This can involve measuring key variables, such as pressure and velocity, at specific locations in the pipe and comparing them with the simulation results. Additionally, sensitivity analyses and convergence studies can also be performed to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the simulations.