"Ant Man" and the Planck scale

In summary, Ant-Man can shrink to the subatomic quantum realm where space and time cease to have meaning. Can he reaches inside the Planck scale?Yes, and Marvel's explaniation to pym particles is "shrinking the distance between atoms",which means he can't get down to volume smaller than all the atoms on him added up,which by th way,will never go to "subatomic" levels.
dahoa
Ant-Man can shrink to the subatomic quantum realm where space and time cease to have meaning. Can he reaches inside the Planck scale?

I wanted to use the words "below" or "above" the Planck scale. But when describing inside it.. do you use "below" or "above" the Planck scale to describe inside and outside it.. and why do they use the below or above since there is no below or above (what's the origin of these terms in describing the Planck scale)?

Physics news on Phys.org
dahoa said:
Ant-Man can shrink to the subatomic quantum realm ...
No. There are no molecules or atoms down that small.

Likes YoungPhysicist
phinds said:
No. There are no molecules or atoms down that small.
YES, and, Marvel's explaniation to pym particles is"shrinking the distance between atoms",which means he can't get down to volume smaller than all the atoms on him added up,which by th way,will never go to "subatomic" levels.

Young physicist said:
YES, and, Marvel's explaniation to pym particles is"shrinking the distance between atoms",which means he can't get down to volume smaller than all the atoms on him added up,which by th way,will never go to "subatomic" levels.
The OP has left the buliding. Permanently it seems.

Last edited:
Young physicist said:

I believe that's Hank Pym's explanation - but whether Hank himself really understands the Pym particles is suspect since he does say that you could go "subatomic" if you mess with the regulator (correct me if I'm wrong, but I do seem to recall him saying both these things in the first Ant Man movie). One would think that a physicist of Hank's caliber would understand that if shrinking involved shortening distances between atoms, then "subatomic" is never an option. So there's a couple of (in universe) possibilities:

1. Hank is dumbing things down to make the explanation of Pym particles comprehensible to someone who is not an expert in the subject like he is.
2. Hank is lying purposely in order to hide the true nature of the Pym particle.
3. Hank doesn't understand Pym particles (or basic physics at that) and his success was a total fluke. - Unlikely given the characterization of Hank.
4. The basic laws of physics and logic don't apply. <- Physics laws is seen to be broken willy nilly...but one would hope logic at least applies.

An out of universe explanation of course is just that this is a plot hole that the creators neglected to address and it can always be hand-waved away by a sufficient source of handwavium.

Likes Rubidium_71 and Lren Zvsm
I liked fantasy and "science fiction" about shrinking people when I was a kid, but found it rather unsophisticated (to be kind) as I grew older (perhaps this qualifies me as a kind of science fiction snob).

Minaturization flies in the face of everything known about science.

In The Fantastic Voyage (still worth watching because of Raquel Welch in a skin tight diving suit), the submarine would have been bounced around randomly because of Brownian motion. Also, relative viscosity would have increased millions of times, so it would have been like a submarine trying to navigate through asphalt or tar. It would have destroyed the propellers, to say the very least.

Yes, but at the plank scale, Ant Man will have triggered the creation of a microscopic black hole.

Isaac Asimov eliminated many of the scientific errors seen in the movie "Fantastic Voyage" when he wrote the novelization. He also wrote "Fantastic Voyage II," which had a different treatment of miniaturization. Miniaturization is still completely fictitious, but some science fiction writers wave their hands better than others.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot and Bystander
I never understood how shrinking would reduce the mass of something. E.g. in The Fantastic Voyage. If you shrink a tee-shirt in the washing machine it still weighs the same when it comes out.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot
PeroK said:
I never understood how shrinking would reduce the mass of something. E.g. in The Fantastic Voyage. If you shrink a tee-shirt in the washing machine it still weighs the same when it comes out.
Stories with shrinking routinely ignore, flout and contradict themselves when it comes to mass of a shrunk object. In one scene, you can carry a miniaturized tank in your pocket; in the next, you mass the same as a normal human and dent floors. Then in the next scene you throw a 50 gram salt shaker which, when embiggened, masses 50kg.

PeroK said:
Asimov suggested that if you could somehow take a poll of every molecule in an object, and then remove them proportionately, you could shrink the object.

This, however, runs into other problems.

In a person, this would reduce the sophistication of the brain, and leave you with something perhaps as intelligent as an insect, for example.

Kevin the Crackpot said:
Asimov suggested that if you could somehow take a poll of every molecule in an object, and then remove them proportionately, you could shrink the object.

This, however, runs into other problems.

In a person, this would reduce the sophistication of the brain, and leave you with something perhaps as intelligent as an insect, for example.

Asmov was aware of this difficulty. The scenario you correctly described was put in the mouth of a character who was stating one of the reasons why miniaturization would not be possible. As for the miniaturization that the FV novelization characters use, Asimov brings it to life with one of his favorite hand-waving tricks: invoking hyperspace.

Likes Kevin the Crackpot

1. How does Ant-Man's shrinking ability relate to the Planck scale?

Ant-Man's shrinking ability is based on the concept of manipulating the Planck scale, which is the smallest unit of measurement in the universe. By shrinking down to the size of an ant, Ant-Man is essentially manipulating the Planck length, which is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. Can Ant-Man's suit actually withstand the intense forces at the Planck scale?

In theory, yes. Ant-Man's suit is made of Pym particles, which have the ability to decrease the distance between atoms and increase their density. This would allow the suit to withstand the intense forces at the Planck scale, as it essentially becomes smaller than the distance between particles.

3. Is the concept of the "Quantum Realm" based on the Planck scale?

Yes, the Quantum Realm is a theoretical place that exists at the subatomic level, which is where the Planck scale operates. It is believed that by shrinking to the size of the Planck length, one could enter the Quantum Realm.

4. How does the Planck scale relate to other fundamental forces in the universe?

The Planck scale is related to the other fundamental forces in the universe, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. It is believed that at the Planck scale, these forces are unified into one force, known as the "Theory of Everything".

5. Could Ant-Man's shrinking ability have implications for real-world scientific advancements?

While Ant-Man's shrinking ability is purely fictional, the concept of manipulating the Planck scale has potential implications for real-world advancements in technology. It could lead to breakthroughs in nanotechnology, quantum computing, and even space travel. However, much more research and understanding of the Planck scale is needed before this becomes a reality.