Any plans to expose exact force and torque added during collisions

In summary: Are you looking for a way to simulate collisions more realistically, or a way to calculate the forces and torques that result from collisions? There are no plans to expose this information currently. However, it is something that may be considered in the future.
blackdoom
This has been a huge limitation for me since picking up unity. So there's "Collision.relativeVelocity" which doesn't even represent a before/after change. There's "Collision.impulse" which gives some kind of averaged force. But collisions add force at points resulting in both force and torque impulses being applied to the object. So what does an average "impulse" even mean realistically? Are they just cutting out the torque and not including it arbitrarily?

It seems to me the obvious and most useful information would be the combined force/torque added from each contact point to each of the objects in the collision. I'm currently working on custom physical joints and they work smoothly and beautifully but for the fact I can't accurately account for collision forces immediately.

Are there any plans to expose this information? Even for tasks like calculating damage (which do okay using the current information) it would be more accurate and consistent.

Physics news on Phys.org
blackdoom said:
This has been a huge limitation for me since picking up unity. So there's "Collision.relativeVelocity" which doesn't even represent a before/after change. There's "Collision.impulse" which gives some kind of averaged force. But collisions add force at points resulting in both force and torque impulses being applied to the object. So what does an average "impulse" even mean realistically? Are they just cutting out the torque and not including it arbitrarily?

It seems to me the obvious and most useful information would be the combined force/torque added from each contact point to each of the objects in the collision. I'm currently working on custom physical joints and they work smoothly and beautifully but for the fact I can't accurately account for collision forces immediately.

Are there any plans to expose this information? Even for tasks like calculating damage (which do okay using the current information) it would be more accurate and consistent.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Your post is a little hard for me to parse. What is "unity" in this context? Is it an object oriented game/physics engine programming language? Can you give some examples (diagrams/pictures and code) of the kinds of collisions you are asking about?

I'm curious about your use of the word "expose." This seems to imply that the information is known but hidden. In truth, most collisions are poorly described; they depend upon the minute details of the contacting surfaces, and every impact modifies that surface geometry to some extent so they cannot be exactly repeated.

What exactly are you asking for?

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of exposing the exact force and torque added during collisions?

The purpose of exposing the exact force and torque added during collisions is to provide a more detailed understanding of the dynamics and impact of collisions. This information can be used to improve safety measures and design more effective structures and equipment.

2. How will the exact force and torque be measured and calculated?

The exact force and torque can be measured and calculated using various methods such as strain gauges, accelerometers, and computer simulations. These tools can accurately measure and calculate the forces and torques acting on objects during collisions.

3. Will this information be useful for all types of collisions?

Yes, exposing the exact force and torque added during collisions can be useful for all types of collisions, whether it's between two objects or a vehicle and a barrier. This information can provide valuable insights into the impact and damage caused by collisions.

4. Are there any limitations to exposing the exact force and torque added during collisions?

There may be some limitations to accurately measuring and calculating the exact force and torque added during collisions. Factors such as surface properties, friction, and deformations can affect the accuracy of the measurements. However, advanced technology and careful calibration can minimize these limitations.

5. How can this information benefit the scientific community?

The exposure of the exact force and torque added during collisions can benefit the scientific community by contributing to a better understanding of the laws of motion and improving the accuracy of collision models. This information can also be used to develop more efficient and safer materials and structures.