Apostol vs Spivak for physicists

In summary: I think you'll have to set some time limits, I mean you can't take a week to finish a chapter's questions. Probably you'll want to say, I'm going to try to answer all the questions but after 2 days, I'm moving on. But actually I would only do the questions that have answers (the easier questions I mean), go through book doing just those and come back later to try the harder ones.
Thinker301
Hello PF!

I was wondering which would be more helpful for a physicist.

Also a little bit of a tangent, if I learn calculus from one of the "popular" books, how would I go back to rigorous math? And where would it be useful for a physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Physicist" is a big word, it can mean a lot of things. It might be somebody into experimental condensed matter theory, or somebody into mathematical physics and string theory.

Clearly, the level of math books one should read depends on what kind of physicist they want to be and how interesting they find the mathematics.

For a general physicist, both Spivak and Apostol would probably be overkill. One of the "popular" calc books will work just fine. If you are interested in mathematics however, then you can try Apostol.

If you're going into mathematical physics such as string theory (which I understood from your previous posts), then Spivak is a must to read. But it shouldn't be your very first book to read. Try some easier book like Lang or Apostol first. Spivak isn't really calculus anyway, but an intro to analysis.

micromass said:
Try some easier book like Lang or Apostol first. Spivak isn't really calculus anyway, but an intro to analysis.

As is Apostol, with some linear algebra thrown in. What makes you think Apostol is easier than Spivak? I have experience only with Apostol, but I've never seen that opinion before.

Hmm, I am not sure which part of physics I will end up in, but I guess Spivak can't hurt. I didn't realize that Spivak > Apostol, thanks. Also does a computational calc class work as a prereq for spivaak?

I think you have Spivak now and probably you can answer half of the questions, that should be enough success to work through it. But if you're someone like me who hates to leave a question unconquered, it may prove difficult.

In that way, I am just like you, verty. How long do you think it might take to do?

IGU said:
As is Apostol, with some linear algebra thrown in. What makes you think Apostol is easier than Spivak? I have experience only with Apostol, but I've never seen that opinion before.
In my opinion, Spivak is easier to read because Apostol's proofs are less detailed. However, Spivak's exercises are harder.

I would say they are both significantly harder than Lang, which is a very good introductory book.

Thinker301 said:
In that way, I am just like you, verty. How long do you think it might take to do?

Well I think you'll have to set some time limits, I mean you can't take a week to finish a chapter's questions. Probably you'll want to say, I'm going to try to answer all the questions but after 2 days, I'm moving on. But actually I would only do the questions that have answers (the easier questions I mean), go through book doing just those and come back later to try the harder ones.

1. Which textbook is better for a physicist, Apostol or Spivak?

It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Apostol's "Calculus" may be better for those who prefer a more traditional approach, while Spivak's "Calculus" may be better for those who prefer a more rigorous and theoretical approach.

2. Is one textbook more difficult than the other?

Both Apostol and Spivak's "Calculus" textbooks are known for being challenging. However, Spivak's book is often considered to be more difficult due to its emphasis on rigorous proofs and theoretical concepts.

3. Are both textbooks suitable for self-study?

Both Apostol and Spivak's "Calculus" textbooks can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus before attempting to use these books on your own.

4. Can these textbooks be used for advanced physics courses?

Yes, both Apostol and Spivak's "Calculus" textbooks cover advanced calculus topics that are relevant for physics courses. However, it is important to supplement with additional resources and textbooks for a comprehensive understanding.

5. Which textbook has better explanations and examples?

Again, this is subjective and depends on personal preference. Some may find Apostol's explanations and examples to be more clear and concise, while others may prefer Spivak's more detailed and rigorous approach.