Applied Angular Velocity & Acceleration

I will continue to work on the calculations and include the safety factor at the end. Thank you again for your guidance! In summary, the individual is working on a product that rotates cups around a shaft and is trying to calculate the torque required to do so. They have selected a motor that can produce a torque between 0.16-0.56Nm based on calculations using formulas for angular acceleration and velocity. The individual also plans to include a safety factor and has gained a better understanding of the problem through sketches of acceleration and velocity vs time.
TJS
Hey guys, I'm working on a product that rotates cups around a shaft, I am trying to calculate the torque required to do so. I have given it my best shot below, does this seem right to you?
The Main Shaft Motor will need to rotate holder one from the filling cups position to the pressing lids position within a 2 second interval (see attached for an illustrtaion). The angle of rotation between these two points is 29deg. As the motor will be required to rotate the shaft from a static equilibrium, an acceleration is required, the acceleration will be at it's max at the center point of this rotation just before it begins to decelerate. Therefore, selecting the motor to cope with the worst-case scenario of ∝ = maximum I will use the angular velocity at the point of half rotation.
The angle at the half rotation point is :
θ = 14.26 deg
The time required to get there will be half the time of a full rotation, therefore:
∆t=1-0
To find ω, θ needs to be in radians, therefore converting degrees to radians.
θ rad=14.26*0.01745329= 0.2489rad
Finding the angular velocity ω at the center point.
ω =( 0.2489)/(1 )
Using ω to calculate ∝ = maximum:
∝ = ( ∆ω )/(∆t )= ( 0.2489-0)/(1-0 )= 0.2489 m⁄s^2
Stepper motors can be selected based on Torque and Power requirements. Using angular acceleration and velocity the power and torque requirements can be calculated using the formulas below;
τ = I × ∝ and P = τ × ω
From the solid-works CAD model, the value for moment of inertia about the axis of the motor shaft is taken to be 0.197 Kgm^2 and therefore;
Multiplying the moment of inertia by a safety factor of five to ensure reliability, the moment of inertia I will take is:
0.9850 Kgm^2
τ = I × ∝ = 0.9850×0.2489=0.2452Nm

P = τ × ω= 0.2452 ×0.2489= 0.0610 W
Based on these calculations I have selected the NEMA Stepper Motor model number 42BYGHW60. This stepper motor can produce a torque between 0.16-0.56Nm.

Attachments

• Finished pic.png
    Finished pic.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
TJS said:
Finding the angular velocity ω at the center point.
ω =( 0.2489)/(1 )
NO. To understand why, draw a couple of simple sketches. First, acceleration vs time with constant acceleration. Second, velocity vs time. Hand sketches are good enough, you don't need CAD for this.

Otherwise, it looks good. I prefer to put in a safety factor at the very end by putting it on the torque requirement. Don't forget to include friction.

Likes TJS
JRMichler said:
NO. To understand why draw a couple of simple sketches. First, acceleration vs time with constant acceleration. Second, velocity vs time. Hand sketches are good enough, you don't need CAD for this.

Hi, do you think you could elaborate on what is incorrect here? Do you mean that ω =( 0.2489)/(1 ) is not the velocity at the center point but just the average velocity?
Does this effect my calculations or is it just a writing error?

The two sketches I recommended will communicate better than 1000 words. Sketch them, post them, and then ask.

I have done hundreds of these type calculations, and I still make simple little sketches of acceleration, velocity, and position vs time.

Likes TJS
JRMichler said:
The two sketches I recommended will communicate better than 1000 words. Sketch them, post them, and then ask.
I have sketched these two graphs very quickly on MATLAB, i think I see what you mean, my worst case acceleration is actually as t approaches zero and not at t=1. If my graphs are correct and this is true, now I don't know what acceleration to take as I can't take it when t=0 as this would give me a value of infinity.
What do you think?
Acceleration Vs Time
upload_2017-10-26_10-25-35.png

Velocity Vs Time
upload_2017-10-26_10-25-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_10-25-35.png
    upload_2017-10-26_10-25-35.png
    9 KB · Views: 372
  • upload_2017-10-26_10-25-54.png
    upload_2017-10-26_10-25-54.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 376
You show a plot with constant velocity. A constant velocity move requires infinite acceleration for an infinitely short time (an impulse) at the start, and an equal and opposite acceleration at the end of the move.

A typical motion profile for an application such as yours would be a constant acceleration move. Accelerate halfway at constant acceleration, then decelerate the second half at the same constant acceleration. The sketch below shows what I mean. The horizontal axis is time, the vertical axis is acceleration. The next step is to make a similar sketch of the velocity, then start putting real numbers (and units) into both the acceleration and velocity sketches. You may want to add a third sketch for position vs time.

PA260330.JPG

The purpose of these sketches is to help understand exactly what you are calculating. Until you have that understanding, you are trying to solve a problem by blindly plugging numbers into randomly selected equations. After you have that understanding, you will not only know what equations to use, but you will be able to solve more complex cases where canned equations are not available.

Attachments

• PA260330.JPG
    PA260330.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 736
Likes TJS
JRMichler said:
You show a plot with constant velocity. A constant velocity move requires infinite acceleration for an infinitely short time (an impulse) at the start, and an equal and opposite acceleration at the end of the move.

A typical motion profile for an application such as yours would be a constant acceleration move. Accelerate halfway at constant acceleration, then decelerate the second half at the same constant acceleration. The sketch below shows what I mean. The horizontal axis is time, the vertical axis is acceleration. The next step is to make a similar sketch of the velocity, then start putting real numbers (and units) into both the acceleration and velocity sketches. You may want to add a third sketch for position vs time.

View attachment 213795

The purpose of these sketches is to help understand exactly what you are calculating. Until you have that understanding, you are trying to solve a problem by blindly plugging numbers into randomly selected equations. After you have that understanding, you will not only know what equations to use, but you will be able to solve more complex cases where canned equations are not available.
This has been extremely helpful, thank you, it makes a lot of sense now. I have plotted the sketches and they have really helped my understanding.

Likes JRMichler

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates, or how fast its angular position changes over time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's angular position by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and the formula is ω = Δθ /Δt, where Δθ is the change in angular position and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²).

4. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are related by the formula α = Δω /Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This means that angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity.

5. How is angular velocity and acceleration used in real-life applications?

Angular velocity and acceleration are used in many real-life applications, such as in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, robotics, and vehicles. They are also important in fields like astronomy, where they are used to study the movement of celestial bodies. In sports, these concepts are used to analyze the performance of athletes, such as in figure skating and gymnastics.