Apply Fermat's principle to a Concave mirror

In summary, Fermat's principle can be applied to both convex and concave mirrors in optics. However, for concave mirrors, the optimized path (actual path of the light) is not the shortest path as in the case of convex mirrors. This is due to the fact that with variational principles, the path is only a local extremum, meaning that infinitesimally different paths may still have a similar path length. Therefore, Fermat's principle should be applied with caution when dealing with concave mirrors.
KT KIM
I am now taking optics class at my school. Fermat principle can be applied on mirror of course.
Fermat.png

Then what about Concave mirror? According to the calculus of variation. the optimized path(actual path of the light) should be the shortest path. but in the concave mirror case, it goes through the longest path.
Fermat2.png

Like above.

How can I apply Fermat's principle on concave mirror?

Science news on Phys.org
KT KIM said:
I am now taking optics class at my school. Fermat principle can be applied on mirror of course.
Fermat.png

Then what about Concave mirror? According to the calculus of variation. the optimized path(actual path of the light) should be the shortest path. but in the concave mirror case, it goes through the longest path.
Fermat2.png

Like above.

How can I apply Fermat's principle on concave mirror?

With variational principles, the path is not the absolute minimum (or maximum) it is only a local extremum. What this means is the following: If you shift the path slightly to the dotted path shown in the figure below, by shifting the location where the light ray hits the mirror by [itex]\Delta x[/itex], then the change in the path length will be of order [itex](\Delta x)^2[/itex]. That's a statement about the limit as [itex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/itex]. Fermat's principle doesn't say anything about paths that are very different from the given path, it only applies to infinitesimally different paths.

fermat.jpg

What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle, also known as the principle of least time, states that light travels between two points along the path that requires the least time. This principle is the basis of geometric optics and helps explain the behavior of light in various mediums.

How does Fermat's principle apply to concave mirrors?

In the case of concave mirrors, the light rays coming from a distant object are reflected by the mirror and converge at a point in front of the mirror. The path of the light rays can be determined by applying Fermat's principle, which states that the light will follow the path that takes the least amount of time to reach the focal point.

What is the focal point of a concave mirror?

The focal point of a concave mirror is the point at which parallel rays of light, after being reflected by the mirror, converge. It is located halfway between the center of curvature and the mirror's surface. The distance between the focal point and the mirror's surface is known as the focal length.

How can Fermat's principle be used to find the image formed by a concave mirror?

To find the image formed by a concave mirror, we can use Fermat's principle to trace the paths of light rays from the object to the mirror and then to the image. By drawing a few key rays and using the principle of least time, we can determine the location and characteristics of the image formed by the concave mirror.

What is the difference between real and virtual images formed by a concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the light rays actually converge at a point in front of the mirror, creating an image that can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror, creating an image that cannot be projected. In a concave mirror, real images are formed when the object is placed beyond the focal point, while virtual images are formed when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror's surface.