Apply trigonometric methods in solving problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the varying heights of tides and the Department of Conservation's recommendation for crossing an inlet during a big tide. The water is 3.9 meters deep at high tide and 0.7 meters deep at low tide. Using the equation d(t)=a sin b (x-c) + d, the amplitude (a) is determined to be 1.6 and the time for which the depth is at 0.8 meters is calculated to be safe for crossing the inlet.
Elara04
Misplaced Homework Thread
Summary: Hey, I'm getting confused with this question and don't think I'm doing it right, I was wondering if anyone could help me

Tides vary so the high tide and low tide height of the water is different every day. At certain times of the year, such as a Spring tide, the water can be very deep and it may not be safe to cross the inlet. During one big tide, the water was 3.9 metres deep at high tide and 0.7 metres deep at low tide.
The Department of Conservation (DOC) recommends that walkers only cross the inlet within one and a half hours before low tide and two hours after low tide.
Find a safe time to cross the inlet during this big tide and discuss DOC’s recommendation in relation to your findings for both tidal situations.

Water is 3.9 meters deep at high tide, Maximum value = 3.9m
Water is 0.7 meters deep at low tide, Minimum value 0.7m
The time period is 12.5 hours between high tides

d(t)=a sin b (x-c) + d or d(t)=a cos b (x-c) + d
where a is the amplitude = (max - min)/2
d=(max + min)/2

a=(3.9-0.7)/2=1.6
b=4pi/25
c= Points from graph (6.05 and 6.45 (2dp))
d= (3.9+0.7)/2=2.3

Equations of model
1.6 cos (4pi/25) (x-6.05) + 2.3
1.6 sin (4pi/25) (x-6.45) + 2.3

It is safe to cross the inlet at 0.8m, time for which the depth is at 0.8 meters
1.6 cos (4pi/25) t + 2.3=0.8

Attachments

• IMG_4241.jpg
    IMG_4241.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.06.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.06.30 AM.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 77
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's video that teaches you how to do this kind of problem:

Likes Lnewqban

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides.

2. How can I use trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometry can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two points. By using trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, you can calculate unknown values in a right triangle.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it useful in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin of a graph. It is useful in trigonometry because it allows us to easily visualize and understand the relationships between the trigonometric functions and angles.

4. What are inverse trigonometric functions and how are they used?

Inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, are used to find the angle that corresponds to a given trigonometric ratio. They are useful in solving problems where we know the ratio but need to find the angle.

5. How can I apply trigonometry to solve problems in other fields, such as physics or engineering?

Trigonometry is widely used in various fields, including physics and engineering, to solve problems involving angles and distances. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or the forces acting on a structure.