Applying for SULI Internships, have questions about the PPPL

okamihybrid
Hello, I'm a sophomore applying to the SULI internship program with a strong interest in theoretical plasma and nuclear physics.

I'm particularly interested in the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) and have some concerns about housing assistance. I'd like to know if the assistance provided by PPPL means full accommodation or if it's a fixed amount to help find a place. My father works at my second-choice lab, and I'm considering living with him if housing assistance at PPPL is not ideal. Any insights from those who have gone through the program or interned at PPPL would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It looks like the $650/week stipend is meant to be for housing as well as other expenses:

https://www.pppl.gov/science-undergraduate-laboratory-internship-suli
Due to COVID-19, housing will be limited. On-site projects are approved on a case-by-cases basis and depends on approval.

As a part of the summer internship only, students are offered housing on the Princeton University campus (pre-pandemic).

Fall and spring term students are responsible for finding housing in the local community. All students receive a $650/week stipend; an additional housing grant is dependent on funding availability.

Likes Vanadium 50
I was going to cut and paste the same thing.

As an addition, if you think you can live with your father and pocket the housing stipend, think again. That plan has consequences that you will not like.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
I was going to cut and paste the same thing.

As an addition, if you think you can live with your father and pocket the housing stipend, think again. That plan has consequences that you will not like.
Now you got me curious, can you fill in some details?

If you get money for housing expenses that you do not actually incur, that's fraud. The government does not like that.

If one thinks "Oh, they'll never find out, so long s I do X", rest assured that the government has seen every trick in the book, and then some.

This is really best avoided.

Likes gmax137
The plain text of the website sounds clear to me the 650/week is not a housing specific stipend, so it would be fine to pocket it and live with your parent.

"an additional housing grant is dependent on funding availability."

This additional housing grant probably could not be taken, though you possibly could pay your parents a fair market rent and use the grant on that.

I think @Vanadium 50 is right, better to not get cute especially if you're not declaring it as income on your tax return.