Approximating a spring constant for an air leg

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a Taylor approximation to find the spring constant for small displacements in an air leg or air spring. The method involves making a force balance and using the equation pv=nrt to find the pressure inside as a function of height. However, the conversation also mentioned that air legs do not follow Hooke's law except for very small displacements. The conversation also included a diagram showing the configuration and forces acting on a vertical piston with air underneath.
samsanof
Hi all,

In short: For an air leg or air spring, there is a method using a Taylor approximation to find the spring constant for very small displacements, but I can't seem to figure out how it works. I've learned that air legs don't follow Hooke's law very much at all, except for when the displacement is very small.

So to start: You have a vertical piston, with air underneath. It moves very slowly and the walls have high thermal conductivity, i.e. all processes are isothermal (and at 298 K, room temperature). The piston has area S and mass M, and there is a smaller mass on top, m (M>>m, so I expect amplitude of oscillations to be small). At rest, the piston is height h from the bottom of the cylinder and the air has pressure P. Then, mass m is removed, setting it into oscillations.

My attempt:

So I start out: Make a force balance, because initially it is at rest. the only variable is the height, so i put things in terms of h

In words: Pressure inside*area - mass*gravity - atmospheric pressure*area = 0, up-down=0
P*S - (m+M)g - Patm*S = 0 = Fnet = -kx for small x

The second two terms are constant.
Then, I think the next step is to say that the pressure inside is a function of h, rearranging pv=nrt and simplifying you get

n*R*T/h - (m+M)g - Patm*S = -kx

Now my though is, taking the derivative with respect to x yeilds k:

-n*r*T/(h^2) * h' = -k

Now I'm stuck. How does one go about finding h'? and where does the Taylor approximation come into play, for anyone familiar with that method?

As always, I appreciate all your efforts. Hopefully we can figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you are seeing more complexity in this problem than there actually is .

Draw a diagram showing the configuration and forces acting .

Last edited:

1. What is a spring constant for an air leg?

A spring constant for an air leg is a measure of the stiffness of the air leg, which is used in mining to support the weight of miners and equipment.

2. Why is it important to approximate a spring constant for an air leg?

Approximating a spring constant for an air leg is important because it helps determine the safety and stability of the air leg, which is crucial for the safety of miners working in underground mines.

3. How is a spring constant for an air leg calculated?

A spring constant for an air leg is calculated by measuring the displacement of the air leg when a known force is applied to it. The spring constant is then calculated using the formula k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated spring constant for an air leg?

The accuracy of the calculated spring constant for an air leg can be affected by factors such as the condition of the air leg, the type of material used in the air leg, and the accuracy of the measuring equipment.

5. How can the spring constant for an air leg be improved?

The spring constant for an air leg can be improved by using high-quality materials for the air leg, regularly maintaining and replacing worn-out parts, and using precise measuring equipment to calculate the spring constant.