Approximating speed from past several lat/lon coordinates

In summary, the more complex approach is more accurate but less reliable, while the simpler approach is less accurate but more reliable.
zpconn
Suppose you are observing the movement of an object on the Earth's surface. At any given moment, you know its current position (in lat/lon coordinates) and three prior positions. Each prior position is separated in time from the one after it by a small but variable number of seconds (say several seconds). For emphasis, the time differences can be different.

Given this information, I want to approximate the current speed of the object in, say, miles per hour, minimizing oscillations in the results. This is a sort of problem of backwards finite differences but I'm struggling to get it right.

I'm currently using the formula

f'(t_0) = [11 * f(t_0) - 18 * f(t_1) + 9 * f(t_2) - 2 * f(t_3)] / 6h

derived from the Taylor series where t_3 < t_2 < t_1 < t_0 and h is the average of the successive time deltas. I'm applying this separately to the latitudes and longitudes to get a tangent vector in lat/lon coordinates per unit time, then converting this into a great circle distance.

This approach is highly inaccurate. I see far fewer oscillations just doing the much more naive

[(great circle distance between current position and last position) / (time between current position and last position)],

ignoring the extra positions I have. This approach still has the occasional oscillation though, and for other reasons I'd like to get a smoother approximation.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
zpconn said:
Suppose you are observing the movement of an object on the Earth's surface. At any given moment, you know its current position (in lat/lon coordinates) and three prior positions. Each prior position is separated in time from the one after it by a small but variable number of seconds (say several seconds). For emphasis, the time differences can be different.

Given this information, I want to approximate the current speed of the object in, say, miles per hour, minimizing oscillations in the results. This is a sort of problem of backwards finite differences but I'm struggling to get it right.

I'm currently using the formula

f'(t_0) = [11 * f(t_0) - 18 * f(t_1) + 9 * f(t_2) - 2 * f(t_3)] / 6h

derived from the Taylor series where t_3 < t_2 < t_1 < t_0 and h is the average of the successive time deltas. I'm applying this separately to the latitudes and longitudes to get a tangent vector in lat/lon coordinates per unit time, then converting this into a great circle distance.

This approach is highly inaccurate. I see far fewer oscillations just doing the much more naive

[(great circle distance between current position and last position) / (time between current position and last position)],
What's wrong with this approach? It seems to me that simpler and more accurate trumps complicated and less accurate.

How random are the movements of the object and how much variation is there in its velocity? Does knowledge of where the object was in previous time intervals provide a good prediction of where it will be in the next time interval?
zpconn said:
ignoring the extra positions I have. This approach still has the occasional oscillation though, and for other reasons I'd like to get a smoother approximation.

Any ideas?

I'd love it if the simple approach were working. But it's not quite good enough. The speeds I'm getting seem too volatile. This could be an issue of simply having inherently volatile data, in which case the question becomes more of how to smooth the data without misrepresenting it--I'd welcome suggestions on this as well.

The more complex approach should be *more* accurate for small h, as its error is O(h^3) rather than O(h), but in practice it's less accurate--I figured I had just made an error in the math but perhaps not.

For clarity, I started with the simple approach, found it too volatile, tried the more complex approach, and despite it being theoretically more accurate I found it even less accurate.

I see far fewer oscillations just doing the much more naive
You omit the direction information, this can reduce oscillations. I'm not sure if that is intended.

Longitude and latitude are not completely independent - close to the poles (for for long delays between measurements), the method has to get inaccurate.

and for other reasons I'd like to get a smoother approximation
Use more data points for the averaging process?

The error might be O(h^3) if your taylor coefficients are perfect, but if they come from data this is not true.

Using more data points is actually problematic as only so many are available at any given moment. Usually up to three are available (in addition to the current location), occasionally fewer, and possibly sometimes more (but that's certainly not typical).

I suppose I could try something really simple like taking the past three points in addition to the current one and just averaging the three calculated speeds. I have no experience with data smoothing and am not sure if there are, well, less naive methods of doing this.

What is the purpose of approximating speed from past several lat/lon coordinates?

The purpose of approximating speed from past several lat/lon coordinates is to determine the average speed at which an object or person is moving over a period of time. This can be useful in various scientific fields such as transportation, meteorology, and sports analysis.

What factors can affect the accuracy of speed approximation from lat/lon coordinates?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of speed approximation from lat/lon coordinates. These include the time intervals between the coordinates, the terrain and obstacles in the path of movement, and the accuracy of the GPS or tracking device used to collect the coordinates.

How can we calculate speed from past several lat/lon coordinates?

To calculate speed from past several lat/lon coordinates, we first need to determine the distance between each pair of coordinates using the Haversine formula or other distance calculation methods. Then, we can divide the total distance by the total time elapsed to get the average speed.

What are the limitations of approximating speed from past several lat/lon coordinates?

One of the main limitations of approximating speed from past several lat/lon coordinates is that it does not take into account any changes in direction or acceleration. It only provides an average speed over the given time period. Additionally, factors such as signal loss, device errors, and human error can also affect the accuracy of the approximation.

How can we improve the accuracy of speed approximation from lat/lon coordinates?

To improve the accuracy of speed approximation from lat/lon coordinates, we can use smaller time intervals between the coordinates, use more precise GPS or tracking devices, and account for factors such as changes in direction and acceleration. We can also use multiple methods of calculation and compare the results to get a more accurate estimate.