Arc length of intersecting circles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of an arc on a curve using various geometric and trigonometric equations. There is some confusion about the formula given in the textbook and the professor suggests using an estimation instead. The last diagram posted shows a relevant triangle and the conversation ends with a discussion about approximations using arc sin and arc cos.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

My class is working through chapter 2 of Newman's Analytic Number Theory text (on partitions). We have come to a part where he states that "elementary geometry gives the formula" (for the length of arc A) [tex] 4r\text{arcsin}\frac{\sqrt(2)(1-r)}{\sqrt(r)} [/tex]

We are attempting to find an integral over the curve |z|=r, where r<1, and specifically at this moment we want the length of the arc of our curve where |x|=r and [tex] \frac{|1-z|}{1-|z|}\le 3.[/tex]

I have attached a picture from someone's master's thesis that shows the curves in question. The circle inside the unit circle is the circle |z|=r, and the circle on the right I believe to be the circle |z-1|=3(1-r). We need the length of the arc of |z|=r that is inside the right hand circle.

Homework Equations

Law of sines, law of cosines, any trig identities, Pythagorean theorem, any trig/geometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried making triangles every which way to no avail and my professor was unable to resolve this problem in the half-hour or so that he worked on it with me. We will be going through this part of the chapter in class soon and I will be presenting. I'm not expected to be able to explain this but it would be nice for everyone in the class if we could see how it is done.

I came sort of close by pretending that the circle |z|=r intersected the center of the right hand circle. Using the law of sines and trig identities I got that the length of the arc in question would be [tex] 4r\text{arcsin}\frac{3(1-r)}{2r} [/tex]
It is also possible that the given solution contains some error, as this textbook is notoriously error-ridden.

Attachments

• numthyarc.jpg
    numthyarc.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
)pdate: one of my professors has basically dismissed the formula given in the chapter, and instead is focusing on the needed estimate, that the length of A is O(1-r). I don't really see why. He said (something like) [itex]\sin(\theta)<3(1-r)[/itex] implies this. I may have misinterpreted his statements as he talks kind of fast so here's what I'm thinking:

Lets let theta be x for ease of typing. Now sin(x)=opposite/hypotenuse. The hypotenuse is r and the height (the "opposite" side) is less than 3(1-r). So sin(x)<3(1-r)/r. So x<arcsin(3(1-r)/r). Then the length is less than 2r*arcsin(3(1-r)/r). How is this O(1-r)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture with the triangle that I think might be relevant. The arc A is the arc of the inner circle that is inside the left hand circle.
My professor told me that for values near 0, sin(x) and arcsin(x) are approxiately x, and that is why we can estimate arcsin(3(1-r)) as O(1-r) (because r is near 1).

Attachments

• numthy2.jpg
    numthy2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 476
I don't see anywhere in the OP that provides a basis for an approximation.
I agree with the last diagram you posted. Application of the cosine rule gives a quadratic equation involving r and cos theta, so a natural equation for the arc length involves arc cos rather than arc sin. I tried converting it to arc sin form but got nothing like the expression in the OP.

1. What is the arc length of intersecting circles?

The arc length of intersecting circles is the distance along the curved line that forms the intersection of two circles. This distance is measured in units such as inches or centimeters.

2. How is the arc length of intersecting circles calculated?

The arc length of intersecting circles can be calculated using the formula L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circles, and θ is the central angle formed by the intersection of the circles.

3. Can the arc length of intersecting circles be negative?

No, the arc length of intersecting circles cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance and cannot have a negative value.

4. Does the size of the circles affect the arc length?

Yes, the size of the circles does affect the arc length. The larger the circles, the longer the arc length will be. This is because the radius of the circles is a factor in the calculation of arc length.

5. Is the arc length of intersecting circles the same as the circumference of one of the circles?

No, the arc length of intersecting circles is not the same as the circumference of one of the circles. The circumference of a circle is the distance around the edge of the circle, while the arc length is the distance along a curved line on the circle.