Are All Indecomposable Groups Cyclic?

In summary, indecomposable groups are those that cannot be written as a product of smaller groups. An example is any group of prime order p, which is isomorphic to the group of integers modulo p. All indecomposable groups of prime order are cyclic. However, not all indecomposable groups are cyclic, as shown by the example of finite abelian groups. These groups decompose into a product of not just cyclic factors, but of indecomposable cyclic factors. For more information on this topic, see the notes on pages 42-43 of the referenced document.
metapuff
A group is said to be indecomposable if it cannot be written as a product of smaller groups. An example of this is any group of prime order p, which is isomorphic to the group of integers modulo p (with addition as the group operation). Since the integers modulo p is a cyclic group (generated by 1), we have that any indecomposable group of prime order is cyclic. I have two questions:

Are ALL indecomposable groups cyclic? (N.B. not just those of prime order)

Are all cyclic groups indecomposable?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at a list of "simple" groups.

If you restrict to finite abelian groups, then all indecomposable such groups are cyclic, but not all cyclic groups are indecomposable. All finite abelian groups decompose into a product of not just cyclic factors, but of indecomposable cyclic factors.

see my notes, especially pages 42-43:

http://www.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/4050sum08.pdf

Ah, thanks @mathwonk! Your notes turned out to be just the reference I was looking for. I thought the extension to linear mappings was pretty interesting.

you are welcome. i had fun thinking that stuff through for a summer course in linear algebra, especially the analogies with finite abelian groups.

1. What is an indecomposable group?

An indecomposable group is a group that cannot be written as a direct product of two nontrivial subgroups. In other words, it cannot be broken down into smaller groups.

2. What does it mean for a group to be cyclic?

A cyclic group is a group that is generated by a single element, meaning all other elements in the group can be expressed as powers of that element.

3. Are all indecomposable groups cyclic?

No, not all indecomposable groups are cyclic. In fact, there are many examples of indecomposable groups that are not cyclic, such as the additive group of integers.

4. What is the significance of studying indecomposable groups?

Studying indecomposable groups is important in understanding the structure and properties of groups in general. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and number theory.

5. Is there a way to determine if a group is indecomposable?

Yes, there are certain criteria and methods for determining if a group is indecomposable. For example, if a group has prime order or is a simple group, it is automatically indecomposable. However, in general, determining if a group is indecomposable can be a challenging problem.