Are banned topics subject to revision?

In summary: out. There is no proof that "LENR" can produce more energy than it consumes. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Posty McPostface
As the title states.

There's been a flurry of research being done in Japan on a banned topic related to "LENR". I was wondering what is the burden of proof required to change minds on this topic? How or where may it be presented? Is the guiding principle that if it cannot be described by established physics, then it cannot be discussed with meaning?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are banned topics subject to revision?
Sure.
Posty McPostface said:
I was wondering what is the burden of proof required to change minds on this topic?
More actual science than nonsense. In particular, peer-reviewed publications in high quality relevant journals. As long as vixra or similar websites are the preferred method to "publish" something it cannot be taken seriously.

Likes QuantumQuest, russ_watters, bhobba and 1 other person
Posty McPostface said:
I was wondering what is the burden of proof required to change minds on this topic?
To change my mind would require compelling evidence published in reputable peer reviewed journals by multiple independent teams.

Likes QuantumQuest and russ_watters
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Likes QuantumQuest and dlgoff
A good example of revising a topic ban is climate science. These discussions were banned for a time and are now allowed if the discussions are about the science.

Likes russ_watters
Posty McPostface said:
There's been a https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322160963_Brief_Summary_Report_of_MHE_Project_Phenomenology_and_Controllability_of_New_Exothermic_Reaction_between_Metal_and_Hydrogen being done in Japan on a banned topic related to "LENR".

No, there hasn't. A flurry is a "sudden, short period". Japan has been working on this since 1989 and hasn't yet been able to produce a device that you can hand to a dispassionate third party and have her say "Yes, this produces more energy than it takes in", But somehow it's always right around the corner.

Posty McPostface said:

Certainly more than was in that paper you posted, which is pure, unadulterated crap. I am surprised that the Mentors left it up. It's not necessary to make your point and it doesn't meet PF standards - something that even you must accept given the thread title. There is nowhere near enough information in that paper to be understood, much less reproduced. It might as well be discussing magic beans.

Vanadium 50 said:
Certainly more than was in that paper you posted, which is pure, unadulterated crap. I am surprised that the Mentors left it up. It's not necessary to make your point and it doesn't meet PF standards - something that even you must accept given the thread title.

I'm sorry. I tried to edit out the link from that post but seem not to be able to edit my posts anymore. I think I'll shut up for now.

I edited it

1. What are banned topics?

Banned topics refer to subjects or ideas that are prohibited from being discussed or researched in a particular context or setting. These topics may be deemed controversial, offensive, or inappropriate for various reasons.

2. Why are certain topics banned?

Topics may be banned for a variety of reasons, such as promoting hate speech, inciting violence, or perpetuating false information. Banning these topics helps to maintain a safe and respectful environment for discussion and prevents harm to individuals or communities.

3. Who decides what topics are banned?

The decision to ban certain topics is often made by the governing body or organization in charge of the context or setting in which the topics are being discussed. This may include schools, workplaces, or online platforms.

4. Can banned topics be revised?

In some cases, banned topics may be revised or reconsidered if new information or perspectives emerge. However, this decision ultimately depends on the governing body and their policies regarding banned topics.

5. Is revising banned topics necessary?

Revising banned topics may be necessary in order to update and improve our understanding of certain issues. However, the decision to revise banned topics should be made carefully and with consideration for the potential impact on individuals and communities.