Are Fictional Eclipses Limited by Scientific Cycles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency of eclipse cycles and whether fictional eclipses must follow these patterns. It is suggested that there is room for artistic liberty in creating a fictional universe and adjusting the orbit of the moon or satellites can compensate for desired eclipse intervals. The importance of scientific accuracy is mentioned, but ultimately the story should be believable to the reader.
Lapsangtea
Dear all,

I have been reading through this article about how often different types of eclipse (eclipse cycles) can occur. I'm presuming that all fictional eclipses have to be variations of these? Even with a fictional planet/moon/solar system?

But what if the desired recurrence of an eclipse isn't satisfied by any of these cycles? Can there be any room for artistic liberty or 'must' the writer find a variation of the eclipses listed to fit? I hope that makes sense.

I'm happy to provide further information about my fictional world but would prefer to do so by PM.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
That article is mainly about Earth and Moon. A different Moon orbit would lead to different patterns.

Do you have some specific eclipse pattern in mind? Maybe it is possible to find some plausible scenario.

Since you are creating a fictional universe I assume that there is plenty of room for artistic liberty. Also, if you need the eclipses to happen in longer/ shorter intervals you could simply adjust the speed and vector of your moon or satellites orbit to compensate. Good luck.

I already have a desired lunar cycle and planet year 'locked down' - I'm hoping to make the 'moon event' fit what I already have. Any details will send in a PM. :)

It's wonderful to be scientifically accurate, but if you write the story and it is not possible for the reader to smell a rat, don't worry about it.

Obviously, you don't want to do something blatantly wrong, but don't over egg the pudding.

1. How does the concept of "fictional eclipse recurrence" differ from a real eclipse?

Fictional eclipse recurrence refers to the occurrence of an eclipse in a work of fiction, such as a novel or movie. It is not based on real astronomical events or calculations, and therefore may not follow the same patterns or characteristics as a real eclipse.

2. Can a fictional eclipse recurrence be scientifically accurate?

While the occurrence of a fictional eclipse may not be based on real astronomical events, it is possible for it to be scientifically accurate. Authors or filmmakers may consult with scientists or do research to ensure that the details of the eclipse are realistic and feasible.

3. How can a fictional eclipse recurrence impact a story?

A fictional eclipse recurrence can serve as a plot device or symbol in a story. It may represent a turning point or moment of change for the characters, or it could add a sense of mystery or danger to the plot. Additionally, the cultural significance of eclipses in different societies can also play a role in the story.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about fictional eclipse recurrence?

One common misconception is that a fictional eclipse recurrence must follow the same rules and patterns as a real eclipse. However, since it is a fictional event, the author or filmmaker has the creative freedom to deviate from real-world science and create their own rules for the eclipse.

5. How can the concept of fictional eclipse recurrence be used in scientific research or education?

Fictional eclipse recurrence can be a useful tool for teaching about eclipses and astronomy in a creative and engaging way. It can also spark interest and curiosity in scientific concepts, leading to further exploration and study. Additionally, analyzing fictional eclipse recurrences in different works of fiction can offer insights into cultural attitudes and beliefs about eclipses and their impact on society.