Are local min/max of a cubic function determined by the zeros alone?

In summary, the conversation discusses how the zeros of a cubic function do not always determine the location of local minima and maxima. The first derivative of the function must also be considered, as roots of the first derivative can indicate the presence of extrema. However, if a root has an even multiplicity, the sign of the first derivative will not change and therefore will not indicate an extremum.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Just curious are cubic functions dirvel from just having the zeros, does that always determine where the local min/max is. I notice many cubic graphs given on homework show where the zeros are but the local min/max is not given.

For example
$$y=\left(x-4\right)\left(x+1\right)(x+2)={x}^{3}-{x}^{2 }-10x-8$$
$$y'=3{x}^{2 }-2x-10$$

$y'=0$ is $ - 1.5226,2.1893$ and min=-24.1926 max=1.3778

So I presume the local min/max are fixed values given the zeros

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If a cubic function has relative extrema, then they will occur at places where the first derivative has roots. But, at the roots of the first derivative, you won't always find an extremum...consider $y=x^3$.

OK I thought the humps could be moved despite the zeros but doesn't look like it.
So the only to find the extreme is by the derivative

karush said:
OK I thought the humps could be moved despite the zeros but doesn't look like it.
So the only to find the extreme is by the derivative

Yes, the first derivative will tell you where the function itself is increasing/decreasing/turning. If the first derivative has differing signs on either side of a root, then you know that root corresponds with an extremum for the function. This will happen for all roots as long as they are all of odd multiplicity.

Observe that in the example I gave of $y=x^3$, the first derivative has a root of even multiplicity, and so its sign does not change as it crosses this first derivative root.

1. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a polynomial function with a degree of three. It is written in the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. How do you derive a cubic function?

To derive a cubic function, you first need to determine the general form of the function, which is f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d. Then, you can use the power rule, product rule, and chain rule to find the derivative of each term. Finally, combine the derivatives to get the overall derivative of the cubic function.

3. What is the purpose of deriving a cubic function?

Deriving a cubic function allows you to find the slope of the function at any given point, which can be useful in many real-world applications. It also helps in finding the critical points and determining the concavity of the function.

4. Can a cubic function have more than one root?

Yes, a cubic function can have up to three roots, depending on the values of the constants a, b, c, and d. These roots can be real or complex numbers.

5. Are there any real-life examples of cubic functions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of cubic functions, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the volume of a cube, and the cost of producing a certain number of items. Cubic functions are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics.