Are ME jobs hard to get in Southern California?

In summary, the conversation centered around the narrator's major in ME and his uncle's suggestion to switch to civil engineering due to difficulty finding a job as an ME. The uncle's tone was condescending and he questioned the narrator's abilities, causing the narrator to question his choice of major. However, other commenters reassured the narrator that he should not let his uncle's comments discourage him and that he should do what makes him happy. They also advised him to do his own research and make sure his program is ABET accredited.
TheDurianFruit
Im currently in my 3rd and final year at a community college and my major is ME. My uncle who is an ME told me that is it very hard to find a job as an ME and is better if i switch to civil engineering. Is this true? His toned seemed condescending the whole conversation and saying that students in high school are already coming up with projects and that I am behind for not having any projects yet and putting me on the spot, asking questions like if i am able to write a C++ program that describes the 3-dimensional movement of a robot arm or something like that. So I asked him wouldn't a program that's similar to CADD be more appropriate and he said no, you can do it with C++

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do that particular task in any number of computer languages, C++ being simply one of the many. This all proves exactly nothing.

Your uncle does not sound like a particularly trustworthy source for job information. I don't know the market in So. Cal., but I suggest that you do your own research into this matter. I'm inclined to think that a community college degree may be a bigger problem than anything else. Most employers are going to be looking for a 4-year ABET accredited degree. You might want to transfer to another school to get that, but without changing majors.

TheDurianFruit said:
Im currently in my 3rd and final year at a community college and my major is ME. My uncle who is an ME told me that is it very hard to find a job as an ME and is better if i switch to civil engineering. Is this true? His toned seemed condescending the whole conversation and saying that students in high school are already coming up with projects and that I am behind for not having any projects yet and putting me on the spot, asking questions like if i am able to write a C++ program that describes the 3-dimensional movement of a robot arm or something like that. So I asked him wouldn't a program that's similar to CADD be more appropriate and he said no, you can do it with C++

Ignore you're uncle. I am sorry to say this but he sounds like a dumass. Do what ever makes you feel happy. Everyone comes to the point in life when you have to decide if you want to be financially stable or do something you love. The good thing is you are interested in engineering, which pays a good a salary. Not only that, you have embarked on an educational journey to learn something that is actually useful to society. Choosing an engineering field or a major for that matter, is a very difficult choice. EE and Ce are both engineering. It is not like you want to do art history or ee.

Regarding the statement that you are behind. Don't let it bother you. As a man you have to come to a realization that you shouldn't worry about what others are doing, but instead on things you can do to improve you're position. I dropped out of school during 3 months of 9th grade year. Got my Ged when I was 20 and started community college at 21. I started with arithmetic and now I can enroll in calculus 3. My father was also illeterate. In other words society states I am crazy for enrolling back in school and wanting to be a mathematician. Think about it.

Likes TheDurianFruit
TheDurianFruit said:

To address the C++ comment, there are indeed many different ways to model the movement of a robot arm. Modeling the system in C++ will require a good understanding of programming, as well as very good understanding of the factors that go into the movement of the robotic arm. It is much more theoretical and math based than modeling the system using a visual drafting tool. So does being able to model the movement of a robotic arm in C++ demonstrate that a candidate has the potential to be a decent engineer, yes. However the opposite is not true. not being able to do that does not indicate you will not be a good engineer.

Also, like others have said, you need to make sure your program is abet accredited.

Thank you everyone for replying, i really appreciate it. I don't really see my uncle as a trustworthy source, and I do A TON of research regarding the engineering fields. I just got a slight scare because one of the main reasons why i chose ME as my major is because it is the broadest of all engineering branches, so i figured that with an ME degree, I have a great variety of fields to get into and also finding a job shouldn't be so cut-throat as ME are used everywhere

1. What is the job market like for mechanical engineers in Southern California?

The job market for mechanical engineers in Southern California is competitive. While there are a significant number of engineering firms and companies in the region, there is also a large pool of qualified candidates vying for these positions.

2. What qualifications are required to become a mechanical engineer in Southern California?

To become a mechanical engineer in Southern California, you will need at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree or relevant work experience.

3. Are there any specific skills or certifications that can increase my chances of getting a mechanical engineering job in Southern California?

Yes, having proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, as well as knowledge of industry-specific codes and regulations can make you a more competitive candidate. Additionally, obtaining certifications such as the Professional Engineer (PE) license can also enhance your job prospects.

4. What industries offer the most job opportunities for mechanical engineers in Southern California?

The aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and renewable energy industries are some of the top employers of mechanical engineers in Southern California. However, there are also opportunities in fields such as healthcare, construction, and consumer goods.

5. Is there a high demand for mechanical engineers in Southern California?

Yes, there is a consistent demand for mechanical engineers in Southern California. The region has a strong engineering presence, and with ongoing advancements in technology and the need for sustainable solutions, the demand for skilled mechanical engineers is expected to continue to grow.