Are my equations for two player zero-sum games correct?

• Thread starter Jimbrisky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, a two player zero-sum game is a type of game in which one player's gain is equal to the other player's loss, resulting in a total payoff of zero. Examples of these games include chess, tic-tac-toe, and rock-paper-scissors. The optimal strategy for these games can be determined using the minimax algorithm. While a tie is possible in a two player zero-sum game, game theory is often used to analyze and predict outcomes and find optimal strategies for players.
Jimbrisky
I will be glad if someone can confirm if my equations for the two player zero-sum games in the question which is attached as an image are correct. I have also attached my answer. Thanks for the help.

question_3.jpg

q3_answer.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not posted what you are asked to do. I assume it is to determine their optimum strategies. You claim to have posted an answer, but to me it just looks like a recasting of the problem in alge

1. What is a two player zero-sum game?

A two player zero-sum game is a type of game in which the payoff or gain for one player is exactly equal to the loss or penalty for the other player. This means that the total payoff for both players is always zero, hence the name "zero-sum".

2. What are some examples of two player zero-sum games?

Some examples of two player zero-sum games include chess, tic-tac-toe, and rock-paper-scissors. In all of these games, one player's win is the other player's loss, resulting in a total payoff of zero.

3. How do you determine the optimal strategy for a two player zero-sum game?

The optimal strategy for a two player zero-sum game can be determined using the minimax algorithm. This algorithm involves analyzing all possible moves and their outcomes, and choosing the move that minimizes the maximum possible loss for the player.

4. Can a two player zero-sum game have a tie?

Yes, a two player zero-sum game can have a tie if both players choose strategies that result in a total payoff of zero for both players. This can occur in games like tic-tac-toe if both players make optimal moves.

5. How is game theory used in the study of two player zero-sum games?

Game theory is used to analyze and predict the outcomes of two player zero-sum games. It involves studying the strategies and behaviors of players and how they affect the overall outcome of the game. Game theory can also be used to find optimal strategies for players in various scenarios.