Are there any errors or errata in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis?

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, On page 2 of Baby Rudin, there is an error in definition 1.5(ii) where y<x should be y<z. George Bergman has an errata posted on his webpage. On page 9, there is a misprint in my version of the book, with "q^2 - 2" instead of "q^2 + 2". The error in 2.21(a) on page 35 has been corrected in the third edition of the book.
Unassuming
I have cracked open Baby Rudin for the first time and I would like to ask if anybody knows of an errata that is on the "web"? I cannot find one. I wanted to print one out before I get in too deep and hurt myself.

Also, on page 2 (that's right, only pg. 2) , (4) has an exponent in front of a 2. What is this?

Lastly, on pg 3. 1.5 definition, (ii), am I reading it correctly or am I missing something? I feel like there is an error in saying "if x<y and y<x, then x<z " ?

Please help, I will begin to contribute to these forums starting today. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
George Bergman has an errata posted on his webpage.

I don't see the exponent you mention on page 2, and apparently neither does Bergman. But there is an error in definition 1.5(ii): the y<x should be a y<z.

Morphism, thank you. Those notes will help me to understand the reading. Last night I got to pg 9 and understood everything except 1.1.

In 1.1 (4), my version has a misprint apparently. I got my version from my school library in compact storage. When I "looked inside" the book using the amazon dot com feature I see that it is supposed to be "q^2 - 2".

I have a feeling I won't understand how to construct the reals pretty soon. Appendix 1 !

thanks morphism

In my book (third edition/bought three days ago) I've found both typos corrected. But on page 35 in the proof to 2.21(a) it should read:
Hence [itex]p[/itex] has a neighborhood which does not intersect [itex] \overline E [/itex].

Related to Are there any errors or errata in Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis?

1. What are Rudin Errors and Errata?

Rudin Errors and Errata refer to mistakes or errors found in the textbook "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin. These mistakes can include typographical errors, incorrect solutions to problems, or errors in theorems or proofs.

2. How common are Rudin Errors and Errata?

Rudin Errors and Errata have been found in all editions of the textbook, although the frequency and severity of these errors vary. The most recent edition, 3rd edition, has been found to have the fewest errors.

3. How are Rudin Errors and Errata identified and corrected?

Rudin Errors and Errata are typically identified by readers and mathematicians who use the textbook. They are then reported to the publisher and author, who may issue an official list of corrections for the specific edition. In some cases, the errors may be corrected in future editions of the textbook.

4. How do Rudin Errors and Errata affect the use of the textbook?

While Rudin Errors and Errata can be frustrating for readers and may lead to confusion or incorrect understanding of concepts, they do not significantly impact the overall quality of the textbook. Most errors are minor and can be easily corrected.

5. Are there any resources available to help navigate Rudin Errors and Errata?

Yes, there are several online resources that provide lists of known Rudin Errors and Errata, as well as discussions and explanations of these errors. Examples include the Math Stack Exchange forum and the Errata for Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" website.