Area as a function of side w/ relation to cost

In summary, the task is to express the area of a rectangular parking lot, enclosed by a security fence, as a function of the length of the side that costs $60 per meter. The front side of the fence costs $60 per meter and the other three sides cost $30 per meter. The total cost of the fence is budgeted to be $7500. The equation for the area of a rectangle is A = length * width, and in this case, the length is represented by x. Therefore, the area of the lot can be expressed as A = x * (125 - 1.5x).
EIGHTSIX7

Homework Statement

A security fence is to be built around a rectangular parking lot. The front side of the fence costs $60 per meter and the other three sides cost $30 per meter. The total cost of the fence is budgeted to be $7500.

Part a).

Express the area of the lot enclosed by the fence as a function of the length 'x' of the side that cost $60 per meter.

Homework Equations

A=length*width

The Attempt at a Solution

I have scanned and uploaded my attempt/work onto imgur. here

http://i.imgur.com/SDB9T.jpg

I have attempted the solution, where I had simplified the equation in relation to the cost I am not entirely sure if after that I had solved for the correct variable ( either y or x), and did I input the equation into the right equation (Area of rectangle as a function of length x).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is my attempt correct?

*****also, confused when they ask for the area of the lot as a function of the length x. So essentially I only want variable "x" in my area equation?******

Physics news on Phys.org
EIGHTSIX7 said:

Homework Statement

A security fence is to be built around a rectangular parking lot. The front side of the fence costs $60 per meter and the other three sides cost $30 per meter. The total cost of the fence is budgeted to be $7500.

Part a).

Express the area of the lot enclosed by the fence as a function of the length 'x' of the side that cost $60 per meter.

Homework Equations

A=length*width

The Attempt at a Solution

I have scanned and uploaded my attempt/work onto imgur. here

http://i.imgur.com/SDB9T.jpg

I have attempted the solution, where I had simplified the equation in relation to the cost I am not entirely sure if after that I had solved for the correct variable ( either y or x), and did I input the equation into the right equation (Area of rectangle as a function of length x).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is my attempt correct?

*****also, confused when they ask for the area of the lot as a function of the length x. So essentially I only want variable "x" in my area equation?******

You've almost got it. But I don't see why you think l=2x and w=2y? Length is x and width is y.

Dick said:
You've almost got it. But I don't see why you think l=2x and w=2y? Length is x and width is y.

What did I do wrong? Can I get a hint? So, I am inputting y=125-1.5x into A= length*w, as w right?

EIGHTSIX7 said:
What did I do wrong? Can I get a hint? So, I am inputting y=125-1.5x into A= length*w, as w right?

In what you posted you said A=2x*2y. Not A=xy.

Dick said:
In what you posted you said A=2x*2y. Not A=xy.

So, aside form my mistake of A= 2x+2y, replaced with A=xy, my answer should be correct?

EIGHTSIX7 said:
So, aside form my mistake of A= 2x+2y, replaced with A=xy, my answer should be correct?

If you work out A=xy, it should be fine.

Dick said:
If you work out A=xy, it should be fine.

Ok, thanks!

1. What is the relationship between the side length of a square and its area?

The area of a square is directly proportional to the square of its side length. This means that as the side length increases, the area will increase at a faster rate.

2. How does the cost of materials for a square vary with its side length?

The cost of materials for a square is also directly proportional to the square of its side length. This means that as the side length increases, the cost will increase at a faster rate.

3. Can you calculate the area of a square if you know its side length and the cost of materials?

Yes, you can use the formula A = w^2, where A is the area and w is the side length. This will give you the area in terms of square units. To calculate the cost, you can use the formula C = kw^2, where C is the cost, k is the cost per unit area, and w is the side length.

4. How can I minimize the cost of materials for a given area?

To minimize the cost, you can use the formula w = √(C/k), where w is the side length, C is the total cost, and k is the cost per unit area. This will give you the minimum side length that will give you the desired area at the lowest cost.

5. Is there a limit to how large the side length of a square can be in relation to its cost?

Technically, there is no limit to how large the side length can be. However, as the side length increases, the cost will also increase at a faster rate. Eventually, the cost may become too high to be practical or feasible.