Arithmetic Progression - show that question

In summary, an arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers with a constant difference between any two consecutive terms. The nth term in an arithmetic progression can be found using the formula a<sub>n</sub> = a<sub>1</sub> + (n-1)d, and the sum of the first n terms can be found using the formula S<sub>n</sub> = (n/2)(a<sub>1</sub> + a<sub>n</sub>). The common difference is equal to the difference between any two consecutive terms, and to determine if a sequence is an arithmetic progression, you can check for a constant difference or use the formula for the nth term.
trollcast
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given that a2, b2 and c 2 are in arithmetic progression show that:

$$\frac{1}{b+c} , \frac{1}{c+a} , \frac{1}{a+b} $$

,are also in arthimetic progression.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assume by "in arithmetic progression" they mean those are 3 consecutive terms but we can't assume that a2 is the first term?

Then,

$$ b^{2} = a^{2} + d \\ c^2 = b^2 + d \\ c^2 = a^2 + 2d \\ d = b^{2} - a^{2} \\ d = c^{2} - b^{2}$$

However I can't seem to get anything close to what the questions asking me as when I tried solving that set equations I kept on getting equations that just canceled out to 0 as both the sides worked out to be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume a < b < c. It follows that b+c > a+b > a+c, so you know what order the second sequence will be in.
Try it from the other end. Look at differences between consecutive terms of the second sequence, and take the difference of the differences.

trollcast said:

Homework Statement

Given that a2, b2 and c 2 are in arithmetic progression show that:

$$\frac{1}{b+c} , \frac{1}{c+a} , \frac{1}{a+b} $$

,are also in arthimetic progression.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assume by "in arithmetic progression" they mean those are 3 consecutive terms but we can't assume that a2 is the first term?

Then,

$$ b^{2} = a^{2} + d \\ c^2 = b^2 + d \\ c^2 = a^2 + 2d \\ d = b^{2} - a^{2} \\ d = c^{2} - b^{2}$$

However I can't seem to get anything close to what the questions asking me as when I tried solving that set equations I kept on getting equations that just canceled out to 0 as both the sides worked out to be the same?
I would mess around with ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{b+c} , \frac{1}{c+a} , \frac{1}{a+b} \ ## just to see if I could find some connection with the squares of a, b, and c .

Although, it doesn't give an ordering, I would assume a < b < c .

Then c+b > c+a > b+a, so that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{b+c}<\frac{1}{c+a}< \frac{1}{a+b} \ .##

Found a similar problem on google but don't understand why they added (ab+ac+bc) to it although it does work.

$$a^2,b^2,c^2 \\
a^2+(ab+ac+bc),b^2+(ab+ac+bc),c^2+(ab+ac+bc) \\
a^2+ab+ac+bc,b^2+ab+ac+bc,c^2+ab+ac+bc \\
(a+b)(a+c),(b+a)(b+c),(c+a)(c+b) \\
\frac{(a+b)(a+c)}{(a+b)(a+c)(b+c)},\frac{(b+a)(b+c)}{(a+b)(a+c)(b+c)},\frac{(c+a)(c+b)}{(a+b)(a+c)(b+c)} \\
∴ \frac{1}{(b+c)},\frac{1}{(a+c)},\frac{1}{(a+b)}
$$

Given the a2, b2, c2 makes arithmetic progression that means b2 - a2 = c2 - b2.

For [itex]\frac{1}{b+c}[/itex], [itex]\frac{1}{a+c}[/itex], [itex]\frac{1}{a+b}[/itex] to make arithmetic progression it shall be enough to check if [itex]\frac{1}{a+c}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{b+c}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{a+b}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{a+c}[/itex]. Thanks for the ordering already established by previous posts.

And that easily simplifies to (b-a)(a+b)(a+c) = (c-b)(a+c)(b+c). That in turn is b2 - a2 = c2 - b2, which was given.

kastelian said:
check if [itex]\frac{1}{a+c}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{b+c}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{a+b}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{a+c}[/itex].
As suggested in post #2.

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. This constant difference is called the common difference.

How do you find the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The nth term in an arithmetic progression is given by the formula: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

What is the sum of the first n terms in an arithmetic progression?

The sum of the first n terms in an arithmetic progression is given by the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term.

What is the relationship between the common difference and the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The common difference is equal to the difference between any two consecutive terms in an arithmetic progression. This means that d = an - an-1.

How can you determine if a given sequence is an arithmetic progression?

To determine if a given sequence is an arithmetic progression, you can check if the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. If the difference is constant, then the sequence is an arithmetic progression. You can also use the formula for the nth term to check if the terms follow a specific pattern.