Arrangement of letters in a word

• Thread starter rajeshmarndi
  • Start date
In summary, the book solution is correct in that it is only the words with two Os that are double counted in 7P4.
rajeshmarndi

Homework Statement

In how many ways 4-lettered words that can be formed using the letters of the word "BOOKLET".

The book solution solve it this way.
The word contains 7 letters out of which there are 2 O's. So there are 6 letters.
∴ The number of 4 lettered words
= 7P4 - 6P4 = 840 - 360 = 480

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What we need is to deduct the duplicate counting of 2 O's from the total permutation.
So how does 6P4 solve this purpose.

Instead of 6P2,
isn't it should have been
( 4P2 * 5P2 ) / 2
i.e number of ways these 2 O's can be placed in 4 place * number of ways B,K,L,E,T can be placed in the remaining 2 places divide by 2.

= (12 * 20)/2 =120

And the answer would be 840 - 120 = 720 and not 480.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not only the words with two Os that are double counted in 7P4.

rajeshmarndi said:
Instead of 6P2
Correction it is 6P4

Orodruin said:
It is not only the words with two Os that are double counted in 7P4.
But I do not see any other letters being doubled.
My question, is the book solution, correct, any way?

rajeshmarndi said:
But I do not see any other letters being doubled.
Imagine the two Os in different colours. In all the words corresponding to 7P4, which words only differ in colour pattern?
(I agree with the book answer, though I've yet to understand how they obtain it by subtracting 6P4.)

haruspex said:
Imagine the two Os in different colours.
I understood that and that's why I mentioned them as O1 & O2.
haruspex said:
In all the words corresponding to 7P4, which words only differ in colour pattern?
I am not sure if I've understood you correctly, if we imagine the two Os in different colours(and each unique letter to be a different colour), then 7P4 will result all to be in different colour.[/QUOTE]
haruspex said:
(I agree with the book answer, though I've yet to understand how they obtain it by subtracting 6P4.)
Where am I wrong in my below solution.
rajeshmarndi said:
Instead of 6P2,
( 4P2 * 5P2 ) / 2
i.e number of ways these 2 O's can be placed in 4 place * number of ways B,K,L,E,T can be placed in the remaining 2 places divide by 2.

= (12 * 20)/2 =120

And the answer would be 840 - 120 = 720 and not 480.

rajeshmarndi said:
Where am I wrong in my below solution.
Consider BLO1K, BLO2K.

haruspex said:
Imagine the two Os in different colours. In all the words corresponding to 7P4, which words only differ in colour pattern?

I called them O and O' in my mid, the principle is the same. I too have not understood how they arrive at it being 6P4 other than numerical coincidence. I solved it by first considering all words as double counted and then adding those that this removes by error (i.e., half of the 4 letter words made from BKLET).

haruspex said:
Consider BLO1K, BLO2K.
Yes, thanks, it just didn't hit my mind.

But, I am still not yet clear.

As 7P4 - 6P4 = number of words containing 2 Os (including O1 & O2)

, since 6P4 = total permutation without 2 Os in the word.

rajeshmarndi said:
But, I am still not yet clear.

As 7P4 - 6P4 = number of words containing 2 Os (including O1 & O2)

, since 6P4 = total permutation without 2 Os in the word.
Yes, but it's coincidence. 360 have no Os, 240 have one O, 180 have two. It just happens that 360=(240+180)/2.
I can make an argument for subtracting 46P3. Consider the number that have a specific O (whether or not they have both).

Likes rajeshmarndi
haruspex said:
360 have no Os, 240 have one O, 180 have two.
5! = 120 has no Os, 4*5*4*3 = 240 has one O, (4!/(2!)^2)*5*4 = 120 has two Os. The sum of all of these is 480, alternatively you subtract 240+120 = 360 from 840 and get the same result.

haruspex said:
360=(240+180)/2
Average of 240 and 180 is 360? :rolleyes:

Likes rajeshmarndi
Orodruin said:
5! = 120 has no Os, 4*5*4*3 = 240 has one O, (4!/(2!)^2)*5*4 = 120 has two Os. The sum of all of these is 480, alternatively you subtract 240+120 = 360 from 840 and get the same result.Average of 240 and 180 is 360? :rolleyes:
I shouldn't post while watching Le Tour.

1. How many different arrangements can be made with the letters in a word?

The number of arrangements possible with the letters in a word can be calculated using the formula n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of letters in the word and n1, n2, etc. represent the number of times each letter is repeated in the word.

2. How do you determine the number of arrangements if some letters are repeated?

If some letters are repeated in a word, the total number of arrangements can be calculated using the formula n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of letters in the word and n1, n2, etc. represent the number of times each letter is repeated in the word.

3. Can the order of the letters in a word affect its meaning?

Yes, the order of letters in a word can affect its meaning. For example, "dog" and "god" have the same letters but their meaning is completely different due to the different arrangement of letters.

4. Is there a specific way to arrange the letters in a word to form a meaningful word?

There is no specific way to arrange the letters in a word to form a meaningful word as it depends on the language and its rules for word formation. However, in most languages, there are specific rules for arranging letters to form meaningful words.

5. How does the arrangement of letters in a word affect its pronunciation?

The arrangement of letters in a word can affect its pronunciation, especially in languages with specific phonetic rules. For example, in English, the arrangement of letters "ough" can be pronounced differently in words like "rough", "cough", and "through".